Chicago

So after completing xero's tutorial : http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/404/x … -tutorial/

I realized that I was using a DMG 04 cable instead of the 07.

So I followed Trasher80's guide to switch the pins too the 5v port.

The keyboard lights for caps lock, scroll lock, & num lock flash then disappear. In LSDJ when switching the keyboard sync in project menu it freezes on trying to make the selection. A reinsertion of the cable allows it to be selected but then once plugged in again it use to says "Too Busy" along the top title bar. As of now I have made some progress and it instead displays the keyboard as I20 in the bottom right but is then renders LSDJ frozen.

I checked all my connections, I checked the pin placement, the soldering that joins the 2 cables seems to be intact. Is there something I'm forgetting to check?

Although, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the 5volt pin. I heard that maybe the DMG 01 can't deliver a 5v connection through the cable?
Now I do have a great deal of modifications that could be draining enough power as it is (Pro Sound 1/4" Jack, 3 LED Backlight, and LTC1799 Precision Oscillator), perhaps adding the keyboard might just set it over the edge.

I had heard that its possible to connect the keyboard to an external power source such as 4xAA batteries. Might it be possible to just use 1 6volt/9volt battery.

How would I go about attaching an external power source?
I can't seem to find any information about this anywhere.

Savannah, Georgia

i'm no electrician, but let me just pull up the wiring diagram for the PS/2-DIN keyboard here...

as seen on the diagram, the +5V pin (pin 4 on PS/2, pin 5 on DIN) is where you should wire up the positive terminal of the battery.
you'll also need to wire the negative terminal of the battery to the GND pin on the keyboard (pin 3 on PS/2, pin 4 on DIN).

at least that sounds right

Last edited by Aeros (Apr 11, 2012 2:29 pm)

Chicago

I'm no electrician either but isn't the GND pin suppose to well ground?
As for wiring it up to the battery do you mean to solder connections (from cable or connector port?) into the Gameboy circuit board?

I later saw that diagram on some site it helped significantly! I'm using a PS/2 connector. One thing I forgot to mention is that there were 4 wires in the cable, I'm pretty sure I got it down as it assigns the keyboard I20 before freezing. Somebody want to double check this?

PS/2             Type               Pin#
-----------------------------------------
Red ---------> VCC ---------> 1
Black --------> DATA ---------> 3
Brown ------> CLK --------->  5
White -------> GND ---------> 6

Oddly enough if my research is correct, this cable had 2 ground wires for some reason. The white wire (which the internets says is GND) along with a 5th bare metal wire which I'm 100% certain is ground. I have no guess as to what the white wire is actually for.

***EDIT: I reexamined the original connector for the keyboard that I cut off. I have no idea what the fuck category this falls into.

Last edited by GoingHam (Apr 11, 2012 4:05 pm)

matt's mind

unless i've gone crazy

both the DMG-07 and DMG-04 cables have all the proper connections, including the 5V.  this is the reason why people scavenge for these a bit.

the 4-player adapters are just ideal because you have more sections of cables with plugs on the end, and you've got to cut the cable anyways so doesn't matter. 

so if you're using an official nintendo cable, you don't need to switch around the pins at all.  if you've switched them on an official cable that already had the proper connections, then the solution is to either, 1) reverse the switching you did and fix it back, or, 2) just pay attention to your wiring connections, not really what the wires should be, what what they've become as a result of your pin switching.

i haven't done this in a realllly long time though, but i'm pretty sure both the DMG-04 and -07 have the 5V connected, unlike all the other cables around.

and to your other point, yes you can add an external power source, it needs to be regulated to 5V, +/-10%, and i think supply at least 500mA (i can't remember the PS/2 specs).  you need to tie this into your ground and this will feed the keyboard's power.  you can register key-presses then.  the gameboy doesn't need the extra power, wink

hope that helps some.

rochester, ny

regarding that diagram above, when i did my lsdj keyboard, it didn't work. so i just tried a few different combos and it worked eventually. if you're having trouble just experiment a little. i don't think there's any way you could really damage anything? am i right?

Argentina

In my case never worked with the DMG-04 cable and an external power supply (and it had 5v regulator)
So I bought the 4 players adapter and worked at once! I believe that followed the same tutorial as you... but let me check when I get home

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

hey,
sorry i have never done the keyboard with an 04.
only the method on my blog. which i recently updated...

http://blog.xero.nu/lsdj_keyboard_tutorial

Rouen, FR

Hi there,

I've been trying to build my own LSDJ keyboard following the different online tutorials I could find & searching for help on the internets, but unfortunately after many tries, I still can't seem to make it work.

I'm using a DMG-07 link cable, and the keyboard I've found is an old ACER 6512-TW.

Keyboard

PS/2 connection

DMG-07 wires

Keyboard wires

Reslults I got from testing many possibilities are the following :

* Whenever the brown DMG-07 wire is connected to the brown wire of the keyboard, LSDJ won't start, and if I plug it when LSDJ is running, it crashes.
* The Num / Caps / Scroll Lock lights blink at startup whenever the Brown DMG-07 wire is connected to the Red Keyboard wire.
* When the Brown & Blue wire from the DMG-07 are respectively connected to the Yellow & Brown wires from the keyboard, the Num / Caps / Scroll Lock lights blink all the time.

In any case, I haven't been able to produce a single sound using the keyboard in any configuration I tried.

PLEASE HALP !

Edit : I actually cut off the DMG-07 red wire, following Thetris' tutorial, I should actually test this wire, too.

Edit 2 : After more experiments, I've found this wire setup that makes *something* happen, not anything good of course, but still...

DMG-07 -------- Keyboard

Brown -----------> Red
Blue --------------> Grey
Red ---------------> Brown
Green -------------> Yellow

This makes LSDJ really slow, and the indication I** (** because the numbers are constantly changing) appears at the left of the scrren, also the M, U, T, E, letters are sometimes appearing and disappearing. This happens without me having to push anything on the keyboard. It's like LSDJ is getting some data from the keyboard, right ?

Last edited by seal of quality (Apr 25, 2012 5:06 pm)

Argentina

Which version of LSDJ are you using?
I have just read that Keyboard doesn't work on 4.6.3
You should use 4.6.4 or .5 that is fixed.
Remember that Sync must be on KEYBD and you should be playing the song to make it work.

Last edited by Zuberi (Apr 26, 2012 12:16 am)

DMG 04s don't have the 5v pin connected, and they have less redundant wires than most third party cables. So you have to sacrifice the ground pin to get the 5v. Kitsch, you may be confusing them with genuine gameboy color link cables, which I believe have the 5v pin connected.

I recommend you guys use a multimeter and the continuity setting to do this mod. You can't go by the wire insulation color because they're very rarely ever consistent.  If you don't have a multimeter, you can make a DIY continuity tester with a battery and an LED, just don't use it for other applications.

Chicago

I have a multimeter. I bought a second keyboard that was 6 pin PS/2, it has the same colors as seal of quality mentioned.
I am using DMG 04 cables.
Probably gonna follow trash80's pin tutorial

Rouen, FR
Zuberi wrote:

Which version of LSDJ are you using?
I have just read that Keyboard doesn't work on 4.6.3
You should use 4.6.4 or .5 that is fixed.
Remember that Sync must be on KEYBD and you should be playing the song to make it work.

I actually started making tests with version 4.6.3 and nothing happened, now I know why ! So I switched to an older version (3.3.9) and I stard having LSDJ behaving funny as I mentioned in my previous post.

Sync is on KEYBD, and I have the song running, yep. I don't need to have any note written in my phrase, right ?

Thanks for the help !

Argentina
seal of quality wrote:

I actually started making tests with version 4.6.3 and nothing happened, now I know why ! So I switched to an older version (3.3.9) and I stard having LSDJ behaving funny as I mentioned in my previous post.

Sync is on KEYBD, and I have the song running, yep. I don't need to have any note written in my phrase, right ?

Thanks for the help !

I updated to 4.6.5 and works perfect.
And I made just an empty phrase on noise channel and when is playing, I can play notes on PU1 and PU2 with the keyboard.
First test to do with the keyboard is, hit enter to play, and F3 and F4 to see if it changes instrument.

Regards smile

Puerto Rico

Ugh, I run into a problem doing this exact same thing. I have this keyboard:

I followed the schematic on xero's website (I know what the pins are because I slaughtered the ps/2 jack and opened up the dmg cable to add the 5v pin (from the now destroyed gbc side of the cable). My problem is that the arrow and enter keys work, but no other keys do. Can't switch instruments, mute channels, or play notes. Help please?