Tokyo, Japan

Quick idea. This might make it easier to fit in. Seeing as you can have a large number of wave tables, why not add a few more shapes to the wave table generator then ONLY use wave tables for FM. Then you could set up the editors something like.

Carrier wt - 1 / modulator Wt - 2 / fb - 7

Carrier vol / mult / Adsr
Modulator vol / mult / Adsr

Might work?

Actually, I'm just using the main oscillator as the carrier so carrier parameters won't need any more room. Also, triangle as the modulator and carrier sounds great, it's even more plasticy than normal sinewave FM.

But indeed, more generators are needed for the wavetable to create all OPL-1-2-3 waveforms. It would be nice to have something like a stack of operations you do for a wavetable item and then save those in the song. So in the song you would just have data like:

1. generate sine
2. silence the last half of the wavetable
3. reduce to 1024 samples

or

1. generate sine
2. apply 5th harmonic
3. apply octave harmonic
4. drop lots of bits

And then when the song is loaded it would generate the wavetable items according to that and there would be no need to save the same waveform data over and over for each song. Though it's not like the waveform is gigabytes worth of data...

Tokyo, Japan

Nice, this all sounds exciting!

Argh, I have something almost ready but trying to make it sound like an Adlib is maddening. It just sounds too clean and unquirky.

Tokyo, Japan

FM synthesis sounding too good is an interesting problem to have!

Unsubscribe

He didnt say it sounded good, he said it sounded CLEAN. Maybe you need more complex waveforms as a modulator?

Sweden

If it's too clean, and you still haven't, try adding feedback modulation. Delay the output (after envelope scaling) of the modulating operator by a sample or two, scale it, and feed it back into it as modulation. I'm sure you could apply feedback on a carrier or through multiple operators for cool sounds, but this is how OPL does it, I think.

Last edited by boomlinde (Jan 8, 2014 12:51 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Didn't admin tracker 2 get open sourced and ported to SDL?

Are there new builds coming for osx? Sorry if I missed them..

I tried this out about a year ago and I'm really keen to do a few tracks now weekly beats is back smile

Last edited by mk (Jan 8, 2014 1:44 am)

Tokyo, Japan

I think the osx build is pretty far out of date. Windows nightlies are where it's at. Parallels maybe?

Yeah sorry, I tried to compile it on a work Mac here in the office but I didn't get it to compile. I'm too timid to bug the Mac guy who did the builds, after all he has to clean the mess that is my code. sad

Turns out the cleanliness comes from too fine grained envelopes and other stuff. The Adlib almost has these pops when the modulator jumps between two adjacent values (I think a lot of stuff is logarithmic in the chip so you might have very little change in the timbre between modulation values of 0-30 but then 35-3F make very rapid changes). Feedback was easy to add, and I assumed that was the source of the trademark sound as well! Nonetheless it's an interesting feature in a chip since it easily overflows and causes terrible noise.

Tokyo, Japan

Can't wait to see the nightly.

Getting closer. I'm not sure how consistently the feedback will work because the main oscillator has such and such properties but the wavetable item of course can have any length. Maybe I'll just leave it as is.

Here you go:

http://code.google.com/p/klystrack/down … n=2&q=

Feedback doesn't really work currently, so don't rely on it. And the rest of it will probably change as well.

Abandoned on Fire

@kometbomb -- been meaning to say that if you want me to change the title of this thread to something more descriptive or helpful just let me know, i'm adding some updated screenshots etc to the first post right now

Tokyo, Japan

AWESOME had a super quick play with this now im off to work. Looks like the FM section is all once bit modulator with the existing waves combined as the carrier? Mod, seems to be the modulator volume and harmonics is the multiplier?

This looks really really interesting.

EGR - a quick edit linking to the software and the nightlies and maybe n00bstars turtorials and a tune or two might be nice? great idea!