Montreal, Canada

Something like a control channel could work. An extra channel in a song that doesn't have notes. Just text and maybe some commands or whatever.

Before adding stuff for game and demos though, it would be cool if you included (and updated for the latest versions) the replay routine in .DLL format or whatever else is needed for people to play it back in common environments like Unity and whatnot. Having to render 50mb wav files for a game when the source tracks are like 5kb feels a bit ridiculous heh smile I've shown the code to many people, and none of them want to touch it with a ten foot pole...so you're going to have to compile the player yourself and included in the pack! I'm sure you can script that somewhere in your stuff tongue

There is a DLL but it's not in the klystrack archive. I should probably link straight to that. Also, it's a bit pain to keep up to date so it tends to drag behind. Oh and I actually added an option to reduce sound quality (doesn't really pop out that much) which should be cool for games.

Last edited by kometbomb (Jan 1, 2015 8:13 am)

Quebec, Canada

Hey there, i seek for your knowledge guys smile

I am new to klystrack so i got a few questions.

First : It seems like the wave generator is not set to match with the default oscillator pitch, what setting do you use to make it match the best (Change osc pitch, change wave rate, change wave base note, ect)

Second : How to make the pokey setting more predictable ? I just cant make something that will sounds the same twice !

Third : I had to change to ahx sequence edit or else i wasnt able to modify correcly the pattern address but i would still like to know how to do it by default way, any ideas ?

Fourth : I was wondering what Multiplex was ? (Btw everytime i change innacuracy Klystrack crash)

Last edited by qitano (Jan 3, 2015 7:24 pm)

Montreal, Canada

First: The default wav pitch should be in line with the synth's oscillators. It's tuned to an A, which fits with the synth's C. They are technically not on the same pitch, but the default settings are transposed to compensate. Just remember that A = same pitch as the synth.

Second: Forget it. Pokey is useless outside of atonal sounds and effects. Been using Klystrack for a couple years now and I composed many, many songs but I have never ever used the Pokey oscillator because it's just pointless. Plus there's no texture coming out of Pokey that you can't recreate with the synty+wav and a little creativity, and at least that way you're in control of the pitch.

Third: In normal mode, all keys on the keyboard input a value in the sequence editor. "0" inputs pattern 00. "1" inputs pattern 01. "A" inputs pattern 10 and so on and so forth. It's a bit quicker to edit sequences this way, but for any song of decent length and complexity, you'll run out of inputtable patterns (0-9 + A-Z = 36 possible pattern numbers) before you're anywhere near the end of the song. I've switched to AHX edit a long time ago and never looked back.

Fourth: http://n00bstar.blogspot.ca/2013/03/kly … ction.html

Fifth: Options often break between versions. Komet bomb takes a lot of mushrooms and he can't always be trusted around code. Sometimes nobody notices for a few versions, especially for weird rarely-used options like the multiplexer. The multiplexer might have been broken for 20 versions for all anybody knows. I never switch to a new version (because there's no backwards compatibility for the song files.. so you can't load a 1276 song if you're using the 1275 build) until I am satisfied that all the options I need are functional, and that there are no new options/bugs that will make me want to choke a cute bunny.

Sixth: Welcome to Klystrack, here's your membership card and complimentary tank top. Meetings are every other sunday at the community center (bring food). Updates are once a year, when Komet realizes he's been ignoring us for almost twelve months and feels bad about it, usually around Christmas. Our theory is that he is visited by The Ghosts Of Code Past, Present and Future and he gets Disney'd into doing good deeds. Either that or aliens. Who cares...updates!

The solar system .o.
n00bstar wrote:

Sixth: Welcome to Klystrack, here's your membership card and complimentary tank top. Meetings are every other sunday at the community center (bring food). Updates are once a year, when Komet realizes he's been ignoring us for almost twelve months and feels bad about it, usually around Christmas. Our theory is that he is visited by The Ghosts Of Code Past, Present and Future and he gets Disney'd into doing good deeds. Either that or aliens. Who cares...updates!

That's the best thing I've read ever XD

Quebec, Canada

Wow thank you a lot for this quick anwser !! This tracker is just too amazing i will let renoise aside for a bit !!

Yeah I rarely fully test if the old stuff works. I recommend keeping old versions so you can accurately play back tunes you did months ago. Or just export them to a .wav after they are finished. I can always compile an old version if you have trouble with old songs.

(Btw everytime i change innacuracy Klystrack crash)

How to achieve this?

You can indeed create a lot of the Pokey stuff with the (new) wavegen since the Pokey synth basically just outputs a seeded random sequence of bits. In the wavegen, set the wave length to something like 32 or 64 and after you create your random wave, you can hit "drop lowest bit" found in wave toolbox until you have a irregular pulse wave basically. The pokey synth also varies the waveform when the pitch changes but that is not very inconvenient for music making, so the wavegen approach is much nicer. This relates to the inaccuracy parameter btw, because the real Pokey chip (Atari) usually sounds terribly out of tune.

Edit: Oh, as if I could afford shrooms. All profit from this project goes to n00bstar CD's.

Last edited by kometbomb (Jan 4, 2015 4:05 pm)

United States

The latest source doesn't want to compile for me on gentoo 64bit. Do you want me to post the error here or in an email?

Better email it: kometbomb at kometbomb.net.

Last edited by kometbomb (Jan 6, 2015 6:23 pm)

United States

Alright well now that it's built, not sure if the colors are working for noobstar but they aren't on any theme at all for me. It's only doing the standard original colors from before different colored patterns where there.

United States

Alright well now that it's built, not sure if the colors are working for noobstar but they aren't on any theme at all for me. It's only doing the standard original colors from before different colored patterns where there.

United States

Edit: please delete the duplicate posts, silly thing was being slow hmm

Last edited by IceWolf (Jan 6, 2015 8:07 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Colours are working fine for me now.

IceWolf wrote:

You probably need to copy the res directory to /usr/lib/klystrack/res, if you just build klystrack it will not install those files (installing the .deb package will do that). Maybe just download either of the .debs, install it and then run the build you built.

United States
kometbomb wrote:
IceWolf wrote:

You probably need to copy the res directory to /usr/lib/klystrack/res, if you just build klystrack it will not install those files (installing the .deb package will do that). Maybe just download either of the .debs, install it and then run the build you built.

Well so far replacing the res files only changed the patterns to white, they used to be blue before that.

Tokyo, Japan

Did you have chance to add in the rendering switch option for Linux? It is still pretty crazy!