KC

I installed the capacitator kit from kitsch bent, put my dmg back together, everything was fine.

Then I installed the 3 led backlight and now there is sound, no picture, and the backlight is all splotchy. What up wit dat?

This is not my first backlight install so I was pretty confident in what I did

HELP please!!

Savannah, Georgia

power draw issue, perhaps? i couldn't tell you for sure

inb4 kitsch or nitro

KC

what does that mean?

Savannah, Georgia

that means you fucked up and your gameboy is drawing too much power from the batteries, therefore nothing works because you did something wrong in installing the backlight

Last edited by Aeros (Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm)

KC

theres only two wires two to install so not much to fuck up there

KC

and is there anything that I can do to fix it?

matt's mind

first, check and make sure you've installed all the capacitors the correct direction.  i have a hunch you've maybe flipped one and put it in backwards...

also (i did this yesterday, fresh on my mind), make sure the ribbon cable is not only installed, but installed straight.  they have a tendency to slip a little bit when you install them, and if you've crossed pins there you'll get wacky results on the screen most likely.

you're right, can't really mess up with installing the backlight, which would only mean the LEDs in it won't work.  putting the backlight in backwards wouldn't cause the other issues.

my bet is a backwards cap.  or maybe more than one.

matt's mind

can you post a pic, or link to one, of the splotchiness of the screen?  i'm not totally sure what that means (is it the screen image, or the light diffusion?)

KC

I will shortly

KC

here's what it looked like when I was done

Last edited by Grymmtymm (Apr 14, 2012 4:28 pm)

Try removing the protective plastic.

KC

I did

The panel may be broken then. Or else there's moisture underneath the layers.

KC

just checked all the capacitators, they're in the correct order and position.

and I used computer duster to blow out dust before putting it all together

KC

that's what my guess was is that the panel is no good

It's much more likely you did something wrong in the capacitor replacement. Since most of the caps are mounted with thru hole plated pads, you may have ripped out some traces. I'd do some continuity testing.

But first, the obvious course of action would be to just remove the backlight and see if it works. There's no reason it would cause power consumption problems. The resistors are built in, so it's a foolproof installation. Also check if the blotchiness is in the panel itself or the LCD.