New York City
patawic wrote:

Ive composed other genre's before, just not chiptune. I just wanted to figure out whether it was an arp or if it was oscillated.

Uhm, an arp could be explained or obtained by means of oscillation.
You say you can't get it to go faster than "128ths", are you syncing it to clock? Because you should be able to work on hertz range, not measures.

Downstate wrote:

use renoise and throw cubase away : P

advantages over cubase? That also means i need to learn how to use yet another DAW D:

Last edited by patawic (Apr 16, 2012 8:37 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Renoise is a bit meh for arps out of the box

akira^8GB wrote:
patawic wrote:

Ive composed other genre's before, just not chiptune. I just wanted to figure out whether it was an arp or if it was oscillated.

Uhm, an arp could be explained or obtained by means of oscillation.
You say you can't get it to go faster than "128ths", are you syncing it to clock? Because you should be able to work on hertz range, not measures.

it has trouble getting anything higher than 64ths (which is what the original clip uses) when i use 128th's it skips half of the notes. Im just assuming its either related to the VST not being able to handle such speed, or Cubase not being able to send to the VST fast enough / recieve from the VST fast enough

Now the fun part is finding the right sound big_smile always the part i hate. I have the song all composed, with a vague idea of what i want it to sound like, but i always have difficulty making my ideas become reality hmm

Last edited by patawic (Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am)

Gosford, Australia
patawic wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

there's two sounds. a minor third trill (the fast 32nds) and a quick V-I in the background. it's e minor.

are you saying the third trill is in "a minor" or are you saying that its a "minor third trill"?

it's a minor third trill.
you could always just use your ears, though!

Victory Road wrote:
patawic wrote:

are you saying the third trill is in "a minor" or are you saying that its a "minor third trill"?

it's a minor third trill.
you could always just use your ears, though!

i was having issues pin-pointing it, other people who i have asked say its alternating between the E and the D, but an A minor third trill would make it the D and the C

(The combination of E and D seems to be a closer match)

Last edited by patawic (Apr 16, 2012 11:03 am)

Gosford, Australia

uhh... okay i guess if that sounds right to you then go for it

rochester, ny

Post an example of a 128th note arp.

buffalo, NY
nickmaynard wrote:

Post an example of a 128th note arp.

Don't make me

Sweeeeeeden

Let's do some math.
120 BPM is conveniently 1 beat per second.
1 beat = 1/4th, so a 1/128th is (1 beat)/32 = 1/32 seconds @ 120 BPM = 0.03125 s or 31.25 ms.
1/32 seconds also corresponds to one cycle of a waveform at 32 Hz, or only a few cycles at slightly higher bass frequencies. This makes fast arpeggios sound a bit ugly/unclear for bass notes. Each note is played for such a short number of cycles that the brain can't figure out which note is being played.

uhajdafdfdfa

a NORMAL arpeggio in a tracker is played at 1/96th per note
but you maybe Can't Do That In Cubase sorry

buffalo, NY
nitro2k01 wrote:

Let's do some math.
1 beat = 1/4th, so a 1/128th is (1 beat)/32 = 1/32 seconds @ 120 BPM = 0.03125 s or 31.25 ms.
1/32 seconds also corresponds to one cycle of a waveform at 32 Hz, or only a few cycles at slightly higher bass frequencies. This makes fast arpeggios sound a bit ugly/unclear for bass notes. Each note is played for such a short number of cycles that the brain can't figure out which note is being played.

32hz is one cycle at almost unhearable bass frequencies (C1).  Also frequencies raise according to pitch at a logarithmic rate (I haven't bothered to study the formula, but anecdotal frequency knowledge I have is close enough for rock and roll).   So anyways, you can fit 32hz into a treble clef instrument ten, twenty times.  For example, a C6, which is HIGH note (still one octave left on the piano) is 1046.50hz.  So you still get ~33 cycles of each note occuring in that octave range.   

So what I'm saying is, in the proper octave range, you can totally have recognizable notes at 128th notes at 120bpm

In the test sample i was using i had 24 notes that were 2/128ths long, with a 2/128th gap inbetween them. Cubase managed to process 9 of those 24 notes

Also, im  at 150bpm not 120bpm, so that might make a difference

Last edited by patawic (Apr 16, 2012 9:03 pm)

yngwie malmSTEIN arps

*accidental post, please delete*

Last edited by patawic (Apr 17, 2012 12:18 am)

nitro2k01 wrote:

Let's do some math.

I didn't know there are 120 seconds every minute!