So a couple months ago I was approached by ThatAuthoringGroup because they wanted to put one of my tracks on the Rockband 3 DLC marketplace. Naturally I accepted, but I was very curious how they'd make the transition from Chipsounds to the "real" instruments of Rockband, here's the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNn3r3DxCA

Granted, this is on expert so they made it as hard as possible, but it certainly highlights the ability of chipmusic to create things that musically would hardly be feasible on real instruments. There seems to be a fair amount of conflict in the youtube comments regarding the impossibility of this on guitar as well.

Chipmusic in Rockband, Yea or Nay?

Last edited by Zef (Apr 18, 2012 5:48 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

People complaining about the likeness of Rockband/GH/FoF to real instruments and their limitations is like someone complaining about the feasibility of dog shit being used as cutlery.

Your tracks works well, with rock band just being the outlet rhythm game chosen for it by someone. ie, it's cool, it works, and there should be more of it. Some genres/subgenres wouldn't work due to the game's premise (Brian Eno or Milhaven tracks wouldn't be that fun to play) though the energy/note count in most chip would make for a fun play through imo.

Rochester, NY

Fuck youtube comments

That chart looked fun as shit on all the instruments (except possibly drums), well done.

Airbrushed has been on Rock Band for like 2 years already tho so technically there is already chip music

there should be more

EDIT: Been tossing around the idea of authoring some of our tracks for the RBN, it's pretty cool IMO

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Apr 18, 2012 7:01 pm)