Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy
arlen wrote:

I'm not really stoked about spending $200 on a busted tape machine, but for some reason a lot of people online think that's what their junk is worth unfortunately.

This.
Find a working unit in good shape that don't cost a crazy amount of cash it seem not simply sad

Glasgow, Scotland.
GenSek wrote:
arlen wrote:

I'm not really stoked about spending $200 on a busted tape machine, but for some reason a lot of people online think that's what their junk is worth unfortunately.

This.
Find a working unit in good shape that don't cost a crazy amount of cash it seem not simply sad

I'd probably go for recording it into a DAW first, and then record directly as stereo output onto a blank tape. That might not be the most lofi way to do things, but would still give some of the tape aesthetic. Cheaper too...

Recording a 4 channel pure cassette release would be pretty cool mind you.

Glasgow, Scotland.

There's a question actually... if I managed to get a hold of a 4 track tape recorder, what would be the best way to record each channel individually? I could duplicate the songs and go 2xLSDJ, but that would still only give me two outputs...

Could always do 2xLSDJ and then pan each instrument so that I get 4 separate outputs. Any better ideas?

oklahoma

Easiest way to get tape sound would be tracking in a daw with a tape saturation plug in... more real world approach would be tracking instruments Individually on tape machine. Crank the levelz to get tapiness. Timing issues will drive you insane. So record to tape for grit and hiss, dump tracks to daw, snap to grid/quantize/idk  to get your times lined up right. Then record back to tape.

The real dope underground cooler than you shit is all done on wax cylinder these days...

Glasgow, Scotland.

This thread has inspired me. I might do a really short test run of my latest release on tape to see how it goes.

I have two songs I recorded to cheapo cassettes using my Tascam 424 mkIII. they're okay. I just bounced the Gameboy part in mono to tape and added instruments and vocals afterwards because I knew syncing the tracks would be insane. I thought they were pretty cool until I tried to record the same songs on my computer along each channel and I just realized that it didn't compare at all. Granted, I felt rushed for time and I just wanted to get through the recording session; which is not a good mind set to be in with a project.
Thinking back, perhaps a good idea would be to split the percussion and the melody parts via panning and then you could have a little more control over the mix. I apologize if this has already been said before, this is my first post.

Tape is fun, but super impractical.