I'm a bit desperate about finding nothing good in 12 hours of searching google so here is my question:

I need a software like MSSIAH Midi Mode for Atari ST. As Atari ST has MIDI IN I wonder why there is no good such software. Chip Synth has no functions. maxYMiser also didn't seem to work.

My Setup:

MacBook Pro >> Cubase 6 >> Midi Interface >> C64 (MSSIAH)

Works perfectly with 3 voices, realtime!

So now I want

MacBook Pro >> Cubase 6 >> Midi Interface >> Atari ST

But there seems to be NOT ONE good software for this purpose....

as the Atari ST has midi in, and there are TONS of different trackers and other shit I dont care about it's really very disappointing that there seems to be no realtime chip synth for Atari ST beneath crap like "Chip Synth" that has only 1 voice a time and some crappy sub-osc.

So I hope I'm just an idiot who doesnt get it or I simply haven't found the right software yet. If not this world is really a stupid place.

Try Musicmon 2.5e !
You will need to create your instruments in the sound edit (which is easy and really powerful) and after this you can sequence your stuffs without the tracker and you can use the 3 tracks !
I think this is the best thing you can do with this !

Thanks dude! I hope its what I search... if yes you really saved my.... uhm whole Week i would say big_smile

I copy this from the readme !

5) New MIDI multi timbrale mode allows to play each YM channel on a separate MIDI channel. On default,
   MIDI Channels 1-3 map to YM Channels A,B,C playing synth notes. MIDI channels 4,5 play digi sounds
   on the according YM channels A,B. The editor reacts on MIDI program change commands so you can change
   the sound for each channel remotely and individually. This new multi mode allows you to use Music-Mon
   just as a sound generator controlled by an external MIDI sequencer. Since you can switch the sounds anytime
   you can compose complete tracks with external sequencers. The timing resolution is always 1/50 sec.
   By a parameter in the config file it is also possible to adjust the base channel. This allows to cascade up to
   3 machines to get 9 YM voices polyphonic! Set the MIDI Base channel to 1 for the first machine, to 6 for the second
   and to 11 on the third. Never tested if that base channel adjustment really works... Scary, isn't it? ;-)

sounds sweet. Make a video of this setup if you have the time!

btw it's funny that you want to use an Atari ST with a recent version of Cubase ! XD

Last edited by XyNo (Apr 22, 2012 6:21 pm)

Pretty sure Maxymiser supports this, though.

There is a stand alone midi synth software for the ST. Cant remember its name though. Never used it because it only worked in hi-res mode I think.

nordloef wrote:

There is a stand alone midi synth software for the ST. Cant remember its name though. Never used it because it only worked in hi-res mode I think.

If you are talking about this one, http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic_cow/scs.htm he already tried it and it's 1 channel only !

blastermaster84 wrote:

...it's really very disappointing that there seems to be no realtime chip synth for Atari ST beneath crap like "Chip Synth" that has only 1 voice a time and some crappy sub-osc.

XyNo wrote:

If you are talking about this one, http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic_cow/scs.htm he already tried it and it's 1 channel only !

It's not one channel, it's a monophonic synth with 3 oscillators (not the same, it's using each ST hardware channel as an osc and the noise, so, 4 channels). It's just not multitimbral, it seems
I actually think, by the description, that it sounds really interesting!! I would totally try it if I had an ST. I think the problem is that it uses the basic squarewave sounds and not more complex, software aided synthesis like the SID-like waves.

akira^8GB wrote:
XyNo wrote:

If you are talking about this one, http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic_cow/scs.htm he already tried it and it's 1 channel only !

It's not one channel, it's a monophonic synth with 3 oscillators (not the same, it's using each ST hardware channel as an osc and the noise, so, 4 channels). It's just not multitimbral, it seems
I actually think, by the description, that it sounds really interesting!! I would totally try it if I had an ST. I think the problem is that it uses the basic squarewave sounds and not more complex, software aided synthesis like the SID-like waves.

I used it some years ago and it didn't seem like a solid piece of software. I had many problems with it.

akira^8GB wrote:

Pretty sure Maxymiser supports this, though.

This is also correct.

blastermaster84 wrote:

But there seems to be NOT ONE good software for this purpose.....

Read below.

blastermaster84 wrote:

as the Atari ST has midi in, and there are TONS of different trackers and other shit I dont care about it's really very disappointing that there seems to be no realtime chip synth for Atari ST beneath crap like "Chip Synth" that has only 1 voice a time and some crappy sub-osc.

Hmmm...

blastermaster84 wrote:

So I hope I'm just an idiot who doesnt get it or I simply haven't found the right software yet. If not this world is really a stupid place

Hmmmmmmm....

There are currently 2 softwares you should try, both work perfectly for that purpose and are available for free on dhs.nu

maxYMiser 1.29

You will need to investigate some time to learn the sound editor, but it's totally worth it. There are a few tutorials and demo tracks that come with maxYMiser. This program does let you play all 3 YM channels plus 2 DMA channels via MIDI at once and you even have most parameters available as MIDI CC! Moreover this sofware can run without monitor.

Stop wining and RTFM:
http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymiser/man_v129.txt

Musicmon 2.5e

Is the quicker and easier solution solution, but does not support STE/Falcon DMA voice. However you have 3 MIDI channels available to play the 3 YM channels at once and 2 more for DIGIDRUM samples on channel 1 and 2. The sound editor is straight forward and awesome too.

One should point out that in the maxy manual they detail a way you can autoboot a floppy with your midi settings, so you can use it as a headless midi module.

akira^8GB wrote:

Pretty sure Maxymiser supports this, though.

yes, it does

nordloef wrote:

There is a stand alone midi synth software for the ST. Cant remember its name though. Never used it because it only worked in hi-res mode I think.

its called midimoo. (Edit: sorry, minimoo)

it looks very nice, but quite limited compared to what maxymiser and musicmon offer these days. but (i think) still cool to play about this, and not crap for sure.

Last edited by gwEm (Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am)