Los Angeles

hey guys. noob poster, but been lurking for quite a while. some here can vouch for me tongue
so intro out of the way...

can i consider my roland mt-32 to be a chiptune instrument?
...even though its not the white one?

-keep up the wonderful occupation of my precious time.

rochester, ny

sure. have you written a song with it?

Los Angeles

actually, i can't find it in my storage sad .i want my LA synthesis back! i remember it was a bitch to always have to send the patches cus you couldn't save. flash memory only. but it was a great little midi synth with a unique sound character--well once you created patches with a 3rd party utility.
i think the only actual game i used it on was sam & max hit the road.

philly

i consider it a VGM related instrument - absolutely - i used to have one... they're awesome - in the same league as the Yamaha FB01 unit - you could technically modify your MT32 to have a non-volatile RAM chip so that turning it off would not erase your patches - altho i have never attempted this trick

so... is it chiptune? not really... but that doesnt mean you wont get street cred for using real VGM hardware

rochester, ny
alex_mauer wrote:

i consider it a VGM related instrument - absolutely - i used to have one... they're awesome - in the same league as the Yamaha FB01 unit - you could technically modify your MT32 to have a non-volatile RAM chip so that turning it off would not erase your patches - altho i have never attempted this trick

so... is it chiptune? not really... but that doesnt mean you wont get street cred for using real VGM hardware

What program do you use for your FB-01 jams?

San Francisco

there were roland sound-cards for PC which were exactly like the roland mt-32 if not at least compatible and or had one built inside.

check it out.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tutr/roland.htm

i say its as chip as an amiga 500's Paula and or SNES sound chipset. They all produce sounds using pcm or sample data. the only difference is that the mt-32 could only use the preset ones it had built in.

Last edited by wedanced (Apr 27, 2012 12:52 am)