Detroit, MI

Could a USB keyboard controller be powered by a gameboy via link cable? I've got the nanoloop USB/midi adaptor and would like to play my gameboy as a synth, using mgb. But I don't want to purchase a real synth with midi out, or a controller with it's own power source, they tend to cost a bit more.

I'm afraid that won't work. The nanoloop USB/midi controller only works when connected to a pc. (or mac)
If you connect your USB keyboard to your of as well, it should work tho. But not as a standalone.

Czech republic

There is no simple way to do this. But there is a way:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/inter … ost-shield

It also depends on how much power that controler needs. For example these new (and pretty cool looking) Korg micro series are said to suck a lot of juice.

edit:
basically something like this:

could work as an arduinoboy with usb input which would allow you to use for example mgb with small usb midi keyboard (such as Akai LPK). It might even be put inside of DMG. The problem here is that these small versions of arduino and the usb host use 3.3 voltage and it'd have to be tested if the controller runs on 3.3. It should work just fine with bigger arduino (such as UNO) on 5V.

Last edited by ashimoke (May 4, 2012 9:22 am)

Detroit, MI

Well damn. Thanks guys. I'll look into this other stuff.

Unsubscribe

yea but that isnt a usb input, is there a sheild with usb host?

Sweeeeeeden
herr_prof wrote:

yea but that isnt a usb input, is there a sheild with usb host?

Did you look at the socket in ashimoke's pic? Or click the link? "Interfacing MIDI devices with Arduino using USB Host Shield"...

Unsubscribe

I didnt click the link no. Ive seen sockets with usb a that werent usb host though. Interesting!

edit: Looking at the link it does refer to non standard method. Basically you are just scoping out what the keys are sending and using the arduino to convert keypresses to midi. Its not true class compliant midi or anything. You could just as easily do the same with a usb typing keyboard.

Last edited by herr_prof (May 4, 2012 4:39 pm)

Czech republic
herr_prof wrote:

Basically you are just scoping out what the keys are sending and using the arduino to convert keypresses to midi.

Yeah. Which is just what you need if you want to use cheap small usb-midi only keboards (and other simple stuff).

edit: and who knows, maybe this conversion work for more / many / all midi keyboards. Devices like Kenton's midi-usb -> din-midi convertor works with all midi keyboards / other controllers, so the usb-midi protocol should be something all of these have in common.

Last edited by ashimoke (May 4, 2012 8:50 pm)