New York City

8bitweapon asked, in another thread:

8bitweapon wrote:

I just got an A1200 with 2gig HD. How do you get the WHD on a real amiga disk?

That, my friend, is the usual "egg or chicken" situation which every new Amiga user is welcomed with. Methods are many, and range from costing you zero and a lot of patience to a bunch of bucks and laziness. Which is your preferred, is up to you.

I'll mention the easy way for now: Follow one of the shop links in my Amiga links thread and buy something that will help you transfer files to your Amiga. I will recommend Amigakit's EasyADF kit, which is something you can manage to do on your own for much less (and in my case, with a Multicard reader instead of only CF), but hey, you are paying for the convenience of it being readymade.
Actually, if you source the card reader on your own (and make sure it's one that works: Amiga PCMCIA ports are 16 bit), you can save some cash buying from these people the Easy ADF software only. Search the EAB (the links thread is your friend again)  for more info o these readers (there's a  Multicard Reader thread started by me, also compatibility lists for CF and other cards etc.)

Plus, WHD doesnt work for all games right?

People who create WHD installs are always adding games to the library. I can assure you most of what you want is already in there (more than 2000 installs are already available). Originals need to be sourced for installs to be created, and some are hard to get, most games have complex copy protection that needs to be deciphered in order to make the install, too, you need to know 68k ASM to make the installs, and the list goes on. Not an easy task!

Here's a list of WHDload game installs as to date. This list is for demos

And please, support the creators of WHDLoad, a fantastic and essential piece of software. Buy the registered version. Yes, I registered, and since I did it years ago, it cost me half of what it costs today smile. Oh, some games *require* you to have a registred WHDLoad in order to work. Most, don't.

Also, when I buy games off online stores/ebay half the disks dont work! Is this normal?

Depends on the games you are trying. How old are they?
As I said, there are plenty of incompatibilities with newer  machines in regard of old games. Your 2 MB of Chip Ram and Kickstart 2.0+, not to mention your upgraded AGA chipset, are not helping to run these games. I think compatibility is around 60%. This is where WHDLoad comes in hand, you can install the games you have, provided someone created an install for it, using your original disks.

But anything from 1993 and ahead SHOULD work with an A1200.

I hope that helps, if not, keep posting smile

Milwaukee, WI

I think that a C64 tracker should def have MIDI sync.  Considering something like this is even for sale!

http://www.cbm8bit.com/fotios/fbmidi.php

New York City

Well people are not willing to write the support for it because MIDI is not necessary for demoscene productions.
This device works with MIDISLAVE and it's cheap. I think I'm gonna buy it if the specifications are correct. Thanks a lot man!

[edit] Hmm... after further inspection, I don't think this solution has the control I want... I would depend on creating the patches on the C64 all the time and I don't want that.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 12, 2010 2:55 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa
akira^8GB wrote:

I find it absolutely disgusting that people charge for copying you a software.
A network of users that can help others around with this sort of stuff should be EASY to make. I'm gonna try setting one up at EAB.
Nope, I don't need it, I got my Amiga with a multicard reader that takes SD, Memory Stick and others smile Thanks anyway.

Well, I assume the charge is to cover the price of floppy disks, they don't grow on trees! smile

Still, a network of people who can help each other out with stuff like that is a great idea, one of the best things about having a community.

Los Angeles

Hi Akira,

1) How does one get the WHD on a real disk to install on an a1200?

2) Why is it that a good portion of games I buy have bad disks?

3) Why does my external disk drive work gr8 on my a500 but spotty on my a1200?

4) What will the ending be on LOST's last season?

Thank you in advance!

New York City
8bitweapon wrote:

1) How does one get the WHD on a real disk to install on an a1200?
2) Why is it that a good portion of games I buy have bad disks?

I replied to these questions for you above and in full detail, please scroll up and read the answer smile If you need further assistance, post again.

3) Why does my external disk drive work gr8 on my a500 but spotty on my a1200?

What drive is it? Maybe, god forbid, you have a problem in your A1200's CIA, or maybe, its just the port being a bit loose.

4) What will the ending be on LOST's last season?

Please believe me I never seen Lost. Actually, I haven't watched telvision in like 7 years smile

Los Angeles

Thanx!!! I just purchased my transfer kit, will have to wait to buy the registered version of  WHD. smile

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 12, 2010 7:36 pm)

New York City

Try the shareware version first Seth, see if you like it/works out for you.
If you do you will soon want to get rid of the shareware nag smile

Milwaukee, WI
akira^8GB wrote:

Well people are not willing to write the support for it because MIDI is not necessary for demoscene productions.
This device works with MIDISLAVE and it's cheap. I think I'm gonna buy it if the specifications are correct. Thanks a lot man!

[edit] Hmm... after further inspection, I don't think this solution has the control I want... I would depend on creating the patches on the C64 all the time and I don't want that.

Hmmm, I suppose so.   I'm just waiting for a dual SID tracker with MIDI sync! wink

Theta_Frost wrote:

I think that a C64 tracker should def have MIDI sync.  Considering something like this is even for sale!

http://www.cbm8bit.com/fotios/fbmidi.php

I believe this has been out of stock for years. sad
I'm sticking with the sync24 idea. Should be able to plug right in to the serial port the way Prophet64 did it.

Btw, I had a look at SDI and the source code for the player is indeed available!
No C64 assembler wiz in here?

Last edited by tRasH cAn maN (Jan 12, 2010 10:20 pm)

New York City

I could try to convince someone to hack at it, maybe.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

Btw, I had a look at SDI and the source code for the player is indeed available!

You need to play a track done in SDI? Guess that should be no problem. Try asking on IRC, #c-64 (ircnet or efnet) - or perhaps on CSDB (http://www.csdb.dk). Even Geir himself is there (#c-64 ircnet) sometimes.

New York City
Sander von Focus wrote:
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

You need to play a track done in SDI? Guess that should be no problem. Try asking on IRC, #c-64 (ircnet or efnet) - or perhaps on CSDB (http://www.csdb.dk). Even Geir himself is there (#c-64 ircnet) sometimes.

Nope, we are looking to implement MIDI clock sync in it.

Los Angeles

OK so now how do I install games with WHD?

New York City

You have two options.

- If you have the original disks, see if the game has an installer or not in the official WHD page. If it does, it will come with a file that will install it automatically, just follow the instructions. If there's no installer, you are out of luck. You will have to wait for someone to make one (or catch up with 68k ASM and make it yourself wink)

- But I would do is go to Whdownload (find the link in my resources page) and find it there. if it has an installer, it's already preinstalled there (just copy to your drive and run) and you can put your originals away.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 22, 2010 4:53 am)

akira^8GB wrote:

I could try to convince someone to hack at it, maybe.

That would be awesome.
I've had a look at the player source, but I guess it would take at least a year before I grasp what's going on in there. smile

C64 + Sync24 = heart ^ 88