montreal, qc

i think what we're trying to get at here is that prohibiting the free creation of derivative works seems antithetical to what CC is supposedly "all about".

Brunswick, GA USA

That's true, but CC is trying to be all-inclusive and contain the common sense that traditional copyright enforcement lacks.

Gosford, Australia

thanks for clearing up bros

tbh i thought that license persistence was a given, wacky! e: that was probably a dumb thing to think - nothing in law is a given, really.

Last edited by Victory Road (May 6, 2012 11:50 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

While I applaud the effort I have a couple of fundamental issues with CC. First it feels a bit toothless, even assuming it gives me a robust legal platform from which to ask someone not to do whatever with my songs I still need the time, money and effort to make said someone stop doing it. It doesn't seem better than traditional copyright in that way.

I tend to put my stuff up as cc-by-nc, basically "go head and do whatever with this music just dont use it in commercial ventures" but it isnt like I could stop Disney using my music in a movie. I feels cc is just a defacto expression of the creators preferences which they cant practically enforce.

CC seems very vauge on a couple of salient points, most notable cover versions and samples. No idea at all what it covers there.

Lastly quite a few people dont understand what the licenses mean, i have seen numerous cc-nc-nd works on  weeklybeat for example which contain large samples of commercial music and movies which surely cant be right.

But as for nd being evil, I think it is a bit naive to expect your work to be exempt from people creating remixes or whatever but I assume it is to avoid alienating creators living in that bubble?

Brunswick, GA USA
Lazerbeat wrote:

While I applaud the effort I have a couple of fundamental issues with CC. First it feels a bit toothless, even assuming it gives me a robust legal platform from which to ask someone not to do whatever with my songs I still need the time, money and effort to make said someone stop doing it. It doesn't seem better than traditional copyright in that way.

I agree with this, that's why Lessig turned into an anti-corruption crusader. He knows that as long as money is lingua franca it really doesn't matter what our licenses and laws say.

Lazerbeat wrote:

CC seems very vauge on a couple of salient points, most notable cover versions and samples. No idea at all what it covers there.

There is copyright on the lyric/music and there is copyright on a sound recording. Sampling requires a license to the recording as well as the song, cover requires license of only the song. Any license, including CC, can cover either of the bits (lyric, music, recording) separately, and you can give different parameters to each.

Lazerbeat wrote:

Lastly quite a few people dont understand what the licenses mean, i have seen numerous cc-nc-nd works on  weeklybeat for example which contain large samples of commercial music and movies which surely cant be right.

They probably violate terms of service... can't really say what would come of the works until somebody gets brought to court, though. I think it's safe to agree that they're just rubber-stamping their music in ignorance of the law behind it.

Tulsa, OK

As long as I am credited, I do not care what my music is used for.

Now, I am sure there is considerably less demand for my music than most of you, but the fact remains that I have nothing to lose if it is free in the first place. I love hearing remixes of my work, I would like to make it as APPEALING and as EASY as possible for an artist to remix my work.

The only thing is that I would like to be asked before using my music to promote a special interest (political group, religious group, etc.). a very rare occurrence.

what should I be looking for in a license?

Brunswick, GA USA
Jake Allison wrote:

As long as I am credited, I do not care what my music is used for.

Attribution. The CC symbol for it is

Brooklyn NY US

I don't think the creative commons licensing system is perfect, but I think for the most part it does what it sets out to do — to give people creating things an easy means of stating, in a clear and up-front way, what permissions they are comfortable granting.

The creative commons licensing system is not an alternative to "traditional" copyright. It's just a nicely-packaged, digestible, template-ized set of licenses presented in a way that is easy to use online (or wherever).

The practicalities of Person B using Person A's music (or other types of creative works) has always been something managed via two things: an up-front recognition / acknowledgement of ownership (Person B recognizes Person A made the work, and therefore it's theirs) and a negotiation of permissions and terms of use (a license).

Creative commons licenses are just a very, very stripped-down set of licenses presented for people to use if they like, because it very, very, very much streamlines the communication of intentions and conditions between rightsholder and the party interested in using the work.

The ND option is not meant, I think, to placate copyright conservatives, but instead is presented simply because different people have different levels of comfort with how their creative work is used and by what parties. (This, in my view, is something that's worth being selective about, lest one day you find your music has ended up as the soundtrack to some neo-Nazi video or something maybe less implausible but similarly abhorrent to you personally.) And it's worth keeping in mind that the ND option doesn't prohibit anything at all — it just doesn't explicitly grant permission up-front. For parties interested in using a piece of music in their game, remix, funny cat video, etc., the option always remains for them to contact the artist directly to arrange for permission.

This concludes my report on the Creative Commons licensing system.

Also,

Brooklyn NY US

even though I just did

Sweden

I think that ND is useful when the integrity of the work is very important to you, but you explicitly want to grant the consumer some other right that CC provides a clear legal definition of (in the case of ND-BY, probably the right to commercially distribute and perform the work). Maybe you have written and recorded a political speech and don't want half of it cut out, reassembled and used to your disadvantage, but you want commercial radio stations to be able to play it back freely.

Russia, Moscow

It should be noted that CC licenses aren't an enforcement tool. Many Internet people who reuse stuff for things like a personal video etc don't care about licenses, they simple don't understand and don't think about it ('it is internet, everything is free here', 'it is just my pesonal page', 'I don't make money from it' etc). So you can write it all the way across your work that no deriatives and unauthorized use is prohibited, but it still could end up in a neo-Nazi video as easily as a CC-BY licensed work. So it is more to give a clear and short explaination of your stand point about your work for those who cares.

Another thing that comes out of this is that when someone expressed his stand point in a ND license, not many people will consider to attempt to make an agreement with the author. I personally would prefer to avoid pissing an author out by asking him for a thing that he is already answered negatively.

Last edited by Shiru (May 7, 2012 5:44 am)

Gosford, Australia

YO i just realised that when i asked if share alike was similar to no derivatives i meant "share music" not SA

i don't think i've seen the SM license in aaaages though. it was an option on this other music (now defunct) community.

Brooklyn NY US
Shiru wrote:

Another thing that comes out of this is that when someone expressed his stand point in a ND license, not many people will consider to attempt to make an agreement with the author. I personally would prefer to avoid pissing an author out by asking him for a thing that he is already answered negatively.

That's not what it is, though — it's not a negative answer. I might lock my door when I leave my apartment because I don't want everyone in my neighborhood to come in, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't invite you in if you knocked. Wear a short skirt & hell it's almost a guarantee.

edit: including quote

Russia, Moscow

Well, imagine someone sees the ND for first time. He goes here to learn what this mean and reads:

No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.

Sounds quite negative to me. I didn't ever see that someone would add a not that someone who wants to get a permission, he may try to contact the author, and I doubt it is that obvious. If it would be worded like 'you need to get direct author permission to alter, transform, or build upon this work' (with 'don't need' for non-ND licenses), that would be much better.

Tokyo, Japan

Yeah I mean, if you approach the CC licenses as concise "preference and plausible deniability gives" I totally get that.

Chicago IL

i didn't read everything cause it's 2012 and i have to get back to twitter BUT

seems like it's not that bad if something encourages people to
a) write more original music
b) ask an artist if they're okay with you covering / remixing them first

also this entire thread hinges on assuming someone is going to take legal action if someone else covers/remixes their work. It's basically just a safety net to keep people from thinking they can profit off of your music just because you released it for free.