Los Angeles

Hi,

Does anyone know know which computer or console actually has the best bass delivery frequency wise?

Last edited by 8bitweapon (May 8, 2012 9:47 pm)

The Hollow Earth

I'm inclined to think it would be best to use EQ, filters and/or compression on whatever you're using to get the bass where you need it to be. You guys use Apple ][s sometimes right? I wonder how that would sound boosted?

Otherwise, if you're looking for all out bass, neither of these are 8-bit but I would none the less recommend;

Novation Bass Station and/or

Moog Minimoog

These are the first things that come to mind when I think of bass hardware.

Los Angeles

Yeah, I was thinking just in the 8 bits or less console/computer kingdom wise, ya know? Both of those synths have phat bass!

And yes, the Apple II DMS Drummer actually has a pretty phat kick to it for 1 bit playback!

Last edited by 8bitweapon (May 7, 2012 10:17 pm)

Tulsa, OK

Nanoloop iPhone/android has killer bass frequency capability smile

Abandoned on Fire

I'm gonna go with one of the Sega systems.  Little Scale had a great post about the differences is several of them.

Here 'tis: http://milkcrate.com.au/_other/sega_comparisons/

Last edited by egr (May 7, 2012 10:26 pm)

México, DF.

A japanese Fender.

Seattle, WA US

Based upon my listening, I'd have to say that things made with the SID chip have some superior bass

shanghai

i always liked the nes triangle bass meself.

Last edited by Downstate (May 8, 2012 7:47 am)

A gray world of dread

Hm, OPL can pump out a mean bass. FM is kinda neat that way, because you get those rich harmonics on your waveform. Filtered SID can make some cool square basses (again because of modulation, in this case PWM).

Last edited by µB (May 8, 2012 9:10 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

fm can play the most "bassy" frequency if it's just doing a sine with no treble harmonics at all but there's not any more bass than a square wave potentially, it just has less treble

if you want less treble then i recommend the opls or the SID. if you want more bass, turn up the volume

Westfield, NJ

DS10 has real warm, fat bass tones.

New York City

C64 has the meanest bass. I know, it's not a console, but...

buffalo, NY

An NES triangle wave diving into the bassy abyss where only overtones live is pretty satisfying.  Essentially your fundamental freqs (square sine saw) are going to carry the MOST bass . Waveforms with a more complicated timbre might sound cooler, but will carry less thump.  Hope that helps

Last edited by danimal cannon (May 8, 2012 11:29 am)

A gray world of dread

Hm, it's true that a sine gives the purest bass, but below a certain point unmodulated waveforms become more and more inaudible. Squares degrade just to a wet fart, and sines simply vanish. Triangles last a bit longer due to the overtones, like danimal cannon said (I very much agree on the deep NES Tri).
The problem is that pure waveforms need to be really loud to make proper oomph in the sub band, and thus hog a lot of amplitude space.

New York City

I agree with the NES triangle waveform being very bassy too. It would be my second choice after the C64. The SiD's filter just give it the edge.

Milwaukee, WI