Wilmington,NC

So it's like this...
D&D Sluggers are vying for a spot on the Barnstock music festival this summer.
Basically we're trying to get more likes our facebook picture than other people on the page.
[edited by infradead] <------ that's the pic.
Normally we'd talk with booking for the event and see what happens, but this was suggested by a friend.
Also, this was we avoid the submission fee.

So we're giving it a shot.
We're baffled because although we have 800 or so facebook fans we can't seem get over 150 likes so far. I've been posting the link every week on mondays and tuesdays. We need ways to get the excitement up. We've tried offering our album for free a 100 shares and that kinda peaked at 30. I did a new vid today to with info about the contest in the comments.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. You could also like the picture I guess... That would also help.

Rochester, NY

I don't like connecting facebook with real life, even if that's the society we're moving towards

I wish you the best; it's interesting that even with 800 FB friends you can't get even half that many likes, though...

Wilmington,NC

It's pretty awful, but it's not the wasteland myspace has become. I know we're terrible, but this is inconceivable.

Lexington, KY

Ah! I'll let you know some of the best tools in any artist's arsenal for getting your name out there...

Local shows and Collaborations!

...and plenty of them!

See, with the genre of music we're all doing here, we have a very limited "go to" fanbase. Much of the popularity work is winning over those who have never heard of this style of music or haven't considered it "real" music. Doing intense shows and working with other local artists will definitely build your "cred" and net you more fans...

...all that being said though, if you're trying to get on a festival, a good promotional packet will do more than any amount of "likes".

Abandoned on Fire

With all the new settings on FB it's become very easy to block posts from your news feed whether you mean to or not. tongue So it's likely your pleas for help aren't reaching anywhere near all your fans.  As sucky as it sounds you'd be better served by sending either a mass message (these get ridiculously silly) or an event invite that says something like "We need your help!" to all your Facebook friends.  At least then you'd know they got a notification about it (well, probably).

Wilmington,NC

The invite thing has come up before. I'm thinking that and a video. The dead line is June first, so I've got to get on it soon.

egr wrote:

an event invite that says something like "We need your help!" to all your Facebook friends.  At least then you'd know they got a notification about it (well, probably).

In the words of Chipocrite on the topic of empty Combos snacks, "this makes me want to murder someone."

Abandoned on Fire
an0va wrote:
egr wrote:

an event invite that says something like "We need your help!" to all your Facebook friends.  At least then you'd know they got a notification about it (well, probably).

In the words of Chipocrite on the topic of empty Combos snacks, "this makes me want to murder someone."

LOL
"Attention all of my friends in Italy!  Please come to my tiny bar show in Pigeonhole, Mississippi!"

egr wrote:
an0va wrote:

LOL
"Attention all of my friends in Italy!  Please come to my tiny bar show in Pigeonhole, Mississippi!"

hahaha exactly!

"hey old high school friend who I haven't contacted in decades, though I live on another continent I think you should definitely know that I am DJing at the bar down the street from my place!"

Tacoma WA

i removed the link. 

soliciting votes is against the rule, but you're asking advise so its kind of a squishy area.

11. Please do not create threads for the sole reason of soliciting votes from this community.

Melbourne, Australia

The girl I sit next to recently entered a competition online to win a $2000 voucher. She won because she spent a LOT of time, posting on facebook, asking every person she spoke to on the phone whether they had "liked" her, sending emails, and asking people whether they had asked their friends to also "like" and explaining why it was important. Her emails and posts about it were kind of cute and funny.

Theres apparently also a bunch of sites where you can trade likes for likes for other people entering competitions.

She ended up with about 600 likes and shes just one (pain in the ass) individual.

Wilmington,NC
infradead wrote:

i removed the link. 

soliciting votes is against the rule, but you're asking advise so its kind of a squishy area.

11. Please do not create threads for the sole reason of soliciting votes from this community.

Ah, I see that now. I forgot how that works. Fair is Fair.