Unsubscribe

Wrap up what? There isnt really a satisfying conclusion.

matt's mind

oh yeah, thats not what i meant.  i should have said "provide a satisfying enough explanation/background to those who have asked".  wrapped up their inquiries, is what i meant. 

anyways, here is the post i was thinking of, chipflip: http://chipflip.wordpress.com/2010/01/1 … leepbloop/

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
herr_prof wrote:

Wrap up what? There isnt really a satisfying conclusion.

I thought, the demise of 8bc, the rise cm.o and the drag'n'derp cart (dwarfing all previous attempts at cart building) were the satisfying conclusion?

kitsch wrote:

anyways, here is the post i was thinking of, chipflip: http://chipflip.wordpress.com/2010/01/1 … leepbloop/

Also, chipcoalition.com ... I remember that happening.

I've read that post and it doesn't really cover the whole story. I was impressed by the design of the standalone cart, but I think he could have made it known that it was based off of another design. The improvements on the design I think made it original enough to sell, but maybe the code should have been re-written.... That was a huge moment in the community, and that blog post barely covers all that went into it. if nothing bleepbloops look really sexy, and are still generally loved. Until the doaheaps cart. which is all original. Play ball

matt's mind
10k wrote:

Also, chipcoalition.com ... I remember that happening.

i don't think anyone noticed it died though tongue 

8bit-forums happened for a week too.  maybe a week.

IL, US

i may or may not have audio from an 8bc hotline call where jose admitted he wasnt sure why he banned me at all...
i guess in a way banning me was a breaking point purely since it was solely for admitting (civilly) that you and logan had a point that deserved addressing.. hard to understand why a guy would ban one of his former admins for that
also; lol 8bitforums, never 4get (for the few of us who wouldve been staff so we actually knew it existed)
also relevant to note:
jose had just banned the smartboy team for using portions of another person's software & hardware design without permission JUST before releasing his cart

Unsubscribe
10k wrote:

I thought the drag'n'derp cart (dwarfing all previous attempts at cart building) were the satisfying conclusion?

Not till I can buy three more carts it isnt.

The whole thing leaves me feeling sick and I dont mind it not being documented in any fashion.

Spain

Thanks Nitro for the useful reply. Thanks everybody else for some bits of history.

I'm thinking about getting a Smart Boy so I can use the included programmer for my diy carts.

They aren't around anymore

Lexington, KY

Let's write a history book about all the crazy shit that's happened in the community. Like a highschool American History type book. I'd buy it. (Until then, these threads will continue to be awesome.)

matt's mind

they are in china, you can get them on taobao.

hey downstate....  you should look into that.  there is a huge demand, last time i checked taobao they were on there.  there is potential in that.

for all the REALLY hardup smartboy-wating people, check out taobao buying services, you can get them to purchase it and ship for a free.  buyfromtaobao.com for example...

there is another service that starts with either a B or a H that i've used, can't remember right now.  buyfromtaobao is ok though, slightly slower.

I found this site a while ago, notice the date of the most recent post. plus the site has changed a few times. Maybe they will make a comeback
http://www.smartboycart.com/?cat=1

Tacoma WA

i can tell you this.  that was an amazing time to be on staff  yikes

Puerto Rico
Solarbear wrote:

Let's write a history book about all the crazy shit that's happened in the community. Like a highschool American History type book. I'd buy it. (Until then, these threads will continue to be awesome.)

+1

matt's mind

a yearbook format might work well for a collective history type book.

IL, US

Natty was thinking about writing a book about the scene at one point, think he put it on hold though