Detroit, MI

I've been using nanoloop 1.6 for all of my stuff. It has it's limits (number of patterns, song length, tempos, no samples) but it works great for me. Most of my music has been written to be played with some sort of accompaniment, so the difficulty with longer melodies and such usually isn't an issue. Nanoloop took me about ten minutes to figure out, LSDJ still looked daunting after the first ten, but that was just my experience. From what I gather (could be wrong) working in nanoloop is a bit faster than LSDJ.

Philly, PA, USA

fucking lol about nanoloop iphone being less limited than the other versions

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you've never used the other versions.

Detroit, MI
pixls wrote:

Yeahhh...aside from the sampling, gb nanoloop>iPhone nanoloop, for me anyways...

Tulsa, OK
pixls wrote:

I bought 2.5 because I liked the iPhone version so much. I did not like it as much, I felt like it was more limited. That is probly because I was already so used to the iphone and i was too dependent on samples. but samples are a big deal, a lot of my songs are all samples (re-sampling is also really convenient on the mobile versions).

in my biased, inexperienced, untalented opinion the mobile versions are less limited than those for the GB.

listen to what other people say, because I am not good, and unless it is about Nanoloop for iphone, or a live band instrument, i do not know much.

washington

I think I'm going to get LSDJ. Even if it's more complicated, I can do more with it. The greater the challenge, the greater the reward! Besides, LSDJ can sync with nanoloop, so I don't really even have to choose.

Philly, PA, USA

sampling is cool in nanoloop mostly because it's so easy to do, but the fact that you literally cannot change a sound from note to note is a deal breaker for me, i would end up using something like three channels just for percussion and then only have two left for anything else.
There's definitely some cool things to be done with iphone nanoloop, but realistically, i couldn't write a song with it unless i was doing something either super repetitive or really chilled out and slow, that's just me though. Also i personally find the synthesis on both gameboy versions to be more compelling than in the iphone version, it just demands more exploration.

Tulsa, OK
pixls wrote:

sampling is cool in nanoloop mostly because it's so easy to do, but the fact that you literally cannot change a sound from note to note is a deal breaker for me, i would end up using something like three channels just for percussion and then only have two left for anything else.
There's definitely some cool things to be done with iphone nanoloop, but realistically, i couldn't write a song with it unless i was doing something either super repetitive or really chilled out and slow, that's just me though. Also i personally find the synthesis on both gameboy versions to be more compelling than in the iphone version, it just demands more exploration.

i agree completely; it works for me because the things I make can be classified as repetitive, and sample filled, also have a vast collection of instruments to record my own samples with so I can get what I want out of the sample from the start. the synth on the GB versions sound a little better too. but having 6 channels is awesome

basspuddle wrote:

I think I'm going to get LSDJ. Even if it's more complicated, I can do more with it. The greater the challenge, the greater the reward! Besides, LSDJ can sync with nanoloop, so I don't really even have to choose.

I think you are making the right decision for your style

Tulsa, OK
pixls wrote:

i couldn't write a song with it unless i was doing something either super repetitive or really chilled out and slow, that's just me though.

an example

http://chipmusic.org/jake+allison/music … n-man-demo

basspuddle wrote:

I wouldn't trust it for a live show though. An external clock is the best route. Just saving you from some hair pulling ( : .......and i noticed that the i-phone nanoloop is able to go at a ridiculously fast tempo. I'm not to fond of the way that version sounds (most of the time),but that's a  feature Id like to take advantage of.

sweden
Jake Allison wrote:
nordloef wrote:

Please elaborate?

there are six channels, instead of the typical nanoloop four.

the sampling is great, and can help get around limitations, if one wishes to. though the sample length is ridiculously short, you can modify the
samples in a lot of cool ways

it is super easy to export songs with iTunes

the sound capability of the iPhone is fantastic

it is easy to use and convenient, field recording samples is fun.

Live mixing is as easy as pie, if you like that sort of thing.

its cheap!

the ease sharing of .nan files for remix and collaboration is my favorite part.

sorry, that wasn't really an elaboration as much as a list of things I like about it.

Yes most nanoloop versions have four channels but 2.0-2.2 (first release in 2004) had eight channels.

Dont know about the cheap part though. iphone + nanoloop app probably cost a bit more than game boy + nanoloop cart. You could always get away with running nanoloop on an old used ipod touch. That migh be more with in the same price range. But ipods dont have built in mics but you can buy a mic for it.

Live mixing is easy as pie on all nanoloop versions smile

Itunes is the work of the DEVIL (highly subjective opinion though wink )

Abandoned on Fire

There's nano for Android as well.  FYI

washington

Dont know about the cheap part though. iphone + nanoloop app probably cost a bit more than game boy + nanoloop cart.

Then again, why would someone buy an iPhone just for Nanoloop? I think the app only costs $2-3, that's a lot better than $60-80...

Tulsa, OK
basspuddle wrote:

Dont know about the cheap part though. iphone + nanoloop app probably cost a bit more than game boy + nanoloop cart.

Then again, why would someone buy an iPhone just for Nanoloop? I think the app only costs $2-3, that's a lot better than $60-80...

I should not assume that you already owned a device capable of using the app. sorry

if you dont, the crappiest ipod touch in the world would run it just fine (as long as it worked properly).

and when I said that "real chiptune sound" i was really talking about LSDJ as compared to nanoloop. I said misused "no alternative" for emphasis, I was not encompassing anything besides the two products in question. It was a poor choice of words.

Tulsa, OK
nordloef wrote:

Itunes is the work of the DEVIL (highly subjective opinion though wink )

i do not completely disagree, but one does not need to deal with itunes much to get the exporting done

export on device, plug in to itunes on computer, drag and drop to desktop. itunes meets my format conversion needs too.

IL, US

for the nanoloop doubters, time to drop this link again

nanoloop2008 comp
no 2.3 on it, since it was still in beta at the time, plenty of 1.3 & a bit of 2.x

bit shifter, glomag, jddj3j, henry homesweet, nordloef, albino ghost monkey, zombectro, etc

washington
shitbird wrote:
basspuddle wrote:

I wouldn't trust it for a live show though. An external clock is the best route. Just saving you from some hair pulling ( : .......and i noticed that the i-phone nanoloop is able to go at a ridiculously fast tempo. I'm not to fond of the way that version sounds (most of the time),but that's a  feature Id like to take advantage of.

Where would I find an external clock? It sounds interesting...