washington

I'm sure topics like this come up all the time. I almost got a copy of nanoloop 1.6, but they're out of stock. Then I looked at LSDJ, to see the differences. So, which one do you prefer? Which one has more possbilities/limitations? Is one better than the other? Which one would be better for my first cart? I'm pretty clueless, so any help would be appreciated.

Puerto Rico

The magical search engines of this forum or the intertubes will show you the way.

http://littlesounddj.wikia.com/wiki/LSDj_vs_Nanoloop

Chicago IL
basspuddle wrote:

I'm sure topics like this come up all the time.

Madison, Alabama
Xuriik wrote:

The magical search engines of this forum or the intertubes will show you the way.

http://littlesounddj.wikia.com/wiki/LSDj_vs_Nanoloop

That answer is pretty terrible though, tbh.  I mean, dude asserts that LSDJ encourages drum use for the WAV channel leading to under-usage of WAV potential...

I haven't used Nanoloop since 2006, so I don't feel qualified to answer as to current versions, but in 2006, Nanoloop = easier, less patterns, less options.  LSDJ = many, many more possibilities and a vastly steeper learning curve.

[edit] just want to stress that these opinions are based on Nanoloop circa 2006   =P

Last edited by roboctopus (May 10, 2012 12:42 am)

You'll hear lots of back and forth on this one; the easiest way is to get demos for each and try them out with an emulator. It depends what you want to do too; I've hear nanoloop can be more conducive to live jamming than LSDJ; but where I'm at now I could never bring myself to give up the control and adaptability I get with LSDJ.

Tulsa, OK

I use Nanoloop for iPhone, It is less limited than other versions, and the sampling is 2nd to none.

But if you really want that real chiptune sound; there is no alternative to LSDJ.

washington

Thanks, everyone. I'm still not sure which one I dig more, both of them have really cool parts/features. I suppose it doesn't matter anyway, I spent all my money on mods for my MGB smile

sweden

I think it really comes down to what you want to do. Both are great but in different ways.

sweden
Jake Allison wrote:

I use Nanoloop for iPhone, It is less limited than other versions, and the sampling is 2nd to none.

Please elaborate?

Jake Allison wrote:

But if you really want that real chiptune sound; there is no alternative to LSDJ.

There are ENDLESS of alternatives.

California

I think Nanoloop is just geared towards making loops whereas LSDJ is more for songwriting. In my experience with Nanoloop one I've found that it's pretty hard to write a song with long melodies, so you have to focus on fitting your idea in one or two patterns. Not necessarily bad, but it's not my style.

Tulsa, OK
nordloef wrote:
Jake Allison wrote:

Please elaborate?

there are six channels, instead of the typical nanoloop four.

the sampling is great, and can help get around limitations, if one wishes to. though the sample length is ridiculously short, you can modify the
samples in a lot of cool ways

it is super easy to export songs with iTunes

the sound capability of the iPhone is fantastic

it is easy to use and convenient, field recording samples is fun.

Live mixing is as easy as pie, if you like that sort of thing.

its cheap!

the ease sharing of .nan files for remix and collaboration is my favorite part.

sorry, that wasn't really an elaboration as much as a list of things I like about it.

Tulsa, OK
nordloef wrote:
Jake Allison wrote:

There are ENDLESS alternatives.

as easy to pick up and obtain as LSDJ is, why would you consider an alternative to get started?

BK

Because there are free trackers you can try before throwing down any money at all for lsdj. Some people never get used to the tracker layout and trying something else first might be beneficial in that sense.

BK
VCMG wrote:

I think Nanoloop is just geared towards making loops whereas LSDJ is more for songwriting. In my experience with Nanoloop one I've found that it's pretty hard to write a song with long melodies, so you have to focus on fitting your idea in one or two patterns. Not necessarily bad, but it's not my style.

This is exactly why I switched to lsdj and I've never looked back.

.FILTHadelphia

I just bought Nanoloop One not that long ago just to try something different. I love LSDJ but there's other programs why not implement both? I really wish Shittracker was available for download.

Tulsa, OK
Jake Allison wrote:

as easy to pick up and obtain as LSDJ is, why would you consider an alternative to get started?

I use nanoloop for iPhone, I really do not know much about trackers smile

I have a psp that I can't sell... Is the little piggy tracker any good? I might give that a try