This was originally an idea to put the jack where the dc in is, but that didn't fit when I tried it. In my experience, using an AC adapter has always been incredibly finicky. Does anyone know if it would be possible and which points to solder to if I wanted to make a "propower" mod?

Last edited by thnikk (May 12, 2012 6:44 pm)

rochester, ny

unrelated to your question, i have an older guitar pedal that uses a 1/4" jack for power.

Brunswick, GA USA

Possible, yes. Why not use the same points from the old jack for installing the new one?

Good idea....  don't know. 1/4 jacks are easier to pull out, on purpose or accidentally.

chunter wrote:

Possible, yes. Why not use the same points from the old jack for installing the new one?

Good idea....  don't know. 1/4 jacks are easier to pull out, on purpose or accidentally.

There are 6 and I don't know what's what :x

1/4 or 1/8", still better than the regular dc plug. I'd like to try to conserve space though and not use anything unnecessarily large.

Uh, I think you'd have to use mono for sure. Make the ground the tip because otherwise you'll short it (I think?) either way yes this would be a simple mod. do you own a multi meter?

Sydney, NSW
nickmaynard wrote:

unrelated to your question, i have an older guitar pedal that uses a 1/4" jack for power.

Not too unrelated, that's proof that it works!

On the same note, I think older iPod Shuffles used a 1/8" cable for data transfer (from my memory. I might be wrong).
Either way, it sounds like it'd work, in logic.

12ianma wrote:

Uh, I think you'd have to use mono for sure. Make the ground the tip because otherwise you'll short it (I think?) either way yes this would be a simple mod. do you own a multi meter?

Using stereo would be a waste anyway and I don't own a multimeter. I've found the two points to solder to, but I'm not sure of the polarity since I was using an ac adapter I got with an old headset.

You could also supply voltage to the battery contacts. As long as it was 6v. Plus you can use any ground on the gameboy (power switch etc) so you'll only need to find out which of those solder points is the positive.

As I thought, it's the lower one in the picture. I'm going to pick up the parts at radioshack during the week and I'll report back when it's all finished. Thanks for the help, everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L3N9sMOV8o

Sorry for the AF, I'm running windows 8 and my webcam software barely works hmm

England

Very nice!