Hello. I was wondering if it was possible / if anyone was interested in implementing an "Allow Downloads" option to the music uploader. Right now, every track is downloadable, which is great, but that keeps you from showing things that you want to sell, since people could just get it here for free. neutral

I don't know, just wanted to get people's thoughts.

Last edited by SolarLune (May 14, 2012 4:22 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

If it can be listened to, it can be downloaded. If you wanted download protection to be disabled, you would need to not only remove the link, but to other tricks to keep actively keep the file from being downloaded, such as trying to detect when file is downloaded by Flash, and when it's downloaded directly by the browser. In the end it's a futile struggle.
If you are concerned about this, only upload one or two tracks from an album.

uhajdafdfdfa

edit: sorry

i really don't like your idea. i think it is a bad idea. you are doing your fans a disservice by making it complicated to get your song which they will be able to get anyway if they want to.

Last edited by ant1 (May 14, 2012 4:51 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

If you're worried about it, only upload previews of your album tracks. Or (what I'm doing) the tracks that I've uploaded on here aren't as good as the album quality and probably have parts missing. So pretty much not the final version of the track. That way people get a taste, but the album has a new quality to it. (like a killer solo)
wink

.FILTHadelphia

Just release stuff for free.

Brooklyn NY US

I respect both sides of this argument, and obviously recognize that ways exist to capture / download everything one can see, watch, & hear on the internet. I also think the idea of giving users control over the presence or absence of a download link for the tracks they upload is not an outrageous idea.

Philly, PA, USA

Ok, so maybe this site isn't the best place to be hosting all your music. when you upload things here you do so with the knowledge that those songs are going to be available for download, if you want people to be able to stream, but not download, go for something like soundcloud, this is a forum above all, and not a music hosting site.

I would not be opposed to having an option for whether or not the download link appears, but I also think it's not necessary.

Riverside, CA
SolarLune wrote:

Right now, every track is downloadable, which is great, but that keeps you from showing things that you want to sell, since people could just get it here for free. neutral.

lol we should have DRM on this site. So people can sell a product that can be duplicated with no effort an infinite number of times.

Gosford, Australia

bandcamp

or soundcloud

Last edited by Victory Road (May 14, 2012 11:26 pm)