Melbourne, AU

This whole idea of starting blank chains with the K command is strange and alien to me.

I usually end the previous phrase with a K if I want to mute the next part. Then again I'm a dumbass. I also use 00.

buffalo, NY

There's little need for starting a phrase starting with a K when you can just K07 on the last note of a phrase you want to end big_smile.  That is assuming you're using groove 6/6. 

But that won't be anything I'll be talking about at my masterclass workshop or anything.

Chepachet, Rhode Island
danimal cannon wrote:

There's little need for starting a phrase starting with a K when you can just K07 on the last note of a phrase you want to end big_smile.  That is assuming you're using groove 6/6. 

But that won't be anything I'll be talking about at my masterclass workshop or anything.

Was just going to ask this.

Hollaaah

.FILTHadelphia
danimal cannon wrote:

Unless your previous phrase ends with a command.

buffalo, NY
defiantsystems wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

In 99% of cases you won't have a command that would be audible since you're killing it 1/16 (or 32nd) note later--- or an effect couldn't be made by making a new instrument

Last edited by danimal cannon (May 15, 2012 1:54 am)

Philadelphia, PA

I don't have an empty with a K 00.. if I need something to that effect i usually just do a K06 at the end of the phrase that needs to stop.

and clearly i don't read things.

Last edited by chipocrite (May 15, 2012 1:54 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

not that i use lsdj but i always start patterns with note cut in every channel i'm not using, unless i have special reason not to

how often do you really want a note from an old pattern to drone on for the whole time that channel is empty?

.FILTHadelphia
danimal cannon wrote:
defiantsystems wrote:

In 99% of cases you won't have a command that would be audible since you're killing it 1/16 (or 32nd) note later--- or an effect couldn't be made by making a new instrument

Unless it's an E command. Haha! I'm sorry I don't mean to pick this apart. Jus' sayin'.

I've never thought of putting a K command at the end with tick delay. Makes me wish I could be at the Masterclass.

buffalo, NY
defiantsystems wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Unless it's an E command. Haha! I'm sorry I don't mean to pick this apart. Jus' sayin'.

I've never thought of putting a K command at the end with tick delay. Makes me wish I could be at the Masterclass.

An E command?  Just put in a new instrument with the envelope values you want.  Besides, even X1 would sound almost the same as X0-X8,9 etc when you're killing it one 16th note later.

Now if you were using an R command on percussion to simulate a quick drum fill, THAT is a case where you'll run into a problem.

Melbourne, AU
danimal cannon wrote:

Hey yeah this is exactly what I do. I don't need no masterclass

.FILTHadelphia

In the context of using the E command I was thinking along the lines of creating an echoing effect.

EDIT: So I just realized that this wouldn't matter if the envelope is going to fade out anyways. /i'mdumb

Last edited by defiantsystems (May 15, 2012 2:12 am)

Gosford, Australia
defiantsystems wrote:

In the context of using the E command I was thinking along the lines of creating an echoing effect.

EDIT: yes you are very silly for not thinking of the thing you thought of which i totally didn't not think of as well!

Last edited by Victory Road (May 15, 2012 2:13 am)

buffalo, NY

Yup, you can do that with a new instrument and note.

Very nice with K07! Never thought of that.

I definitely am guilty of using Rxx on the final note a lot though too hehe

but I guess you COULD simulate Rxx with a table's volume column...but I don't think you'd exactly get something like Rx1 because since it retriggers on every tick, your volume column would have to be like half a tick in the y value

like if I wanted to simulate a pulse instrument with envelope A1 using R02...

volume column could be
A1
A1

(etc.)

But R01 would have to be like

A .5
0 .5
A .5
0 .5

which is impossible, right?

Last edited by an0va (May 15, 2012 3:01 am)

but then again that would be using another table which I don't have any to spare so I figure I'll just call someone who knows more about this stuff anyway