(219) Indiana, USA

Hello I have some sad news, I might have shorted out one of my gameboys during a pro sound mod. The sound either comes out of the jack really quietly or comes out of the jack and speaker at the same time. Eventually after re soldering and trying to fix the unknown problem I was left with a gameboy that had bad sound and the image on the screen faded away after a few seconds of being on. I'm not quite sure how this happened but I have a few ideas, One idea I have is that this was caused by a static short because I have carpet under my workspace. Any advice would be appreciated and I'll be more than willing to give more info if it's necessary.

Thanks,
zaxxon

Last edited by zaxxon (Nov 8, 2013 11:36 pm)

San Diego

Any chance you could show the work on the Gameboy? Did you solder it pre or post-pot? And I know it sounds redundant but, did you put fresh batteries in?

Also is this to external or usual sound out jack.

Medina, Ohio

Hey zaxxon. You could always send it to your friend dsv for a good fixin for free smile

(219) Indiana, USA
Vile wrote:

Any chance you could show the work on the Gameboy? Did you solder it pre or post-pot? And I know it sounds redundant but, did you put fresh batteries in?

Sorry but what does pre or post pot mean? Also yes the batteries were fresh. I can't show the work how ever because all my stuff has been packed up for the moment but I soldered all the points according to this guide:
http://the.fontvir.us/b10g/?id=119

(219) Indiana, USA
12ianma wrote:

Also is this to external or usual sound out jack.

I did external at first but then after failing that many many times I tried this:
http://youtu.be/NhpTvgXexF0?t=6m12s
This was using the existing jack and turning it into a prosound one

UK
zaxxon wrote:

Hello I have some sad news, I might have shorted out one of my gameboys during a pro sound mod. The sound either comes out of the jack really quietly or comes out of the jack and speaker at the same time. Eventually after re soldering and trying to fix the unknown problem I was left with a gameboy that had bad sound and the image on the screen faded away after a few seconds of being on. I'm not quite sure how this happened but I have a few ideas, One idea I have is that this was caused by a static short because I have carpet under my workspace. Any advice would be appreciated and I'll be more than willing to give more info if it's necessary.

Thanks,
zaxxon

when you say the sound is coming out really quietly, do you mean when listening through headphones? if so, then of course it will be much quieter because you are bypassing the headphone preamp.

(219) Indiana, USA
firebrandboy wrote:
zaxxon wrote:

Thanks,
zaxxon

when you say the sound is coming out really quietly, do you mean when listening through headphones? if so, then of course it will be much quieter because you are bypassing the headphone preamp.

But isn't prosound supposed to make it louder and clearer?

Sweeeeeeden

Keep in mind that one of the 4 wires is for the existing jack is for the switch that turns off the speaker when headphones are inserted. You probably screwed up which wires goes where.

(219) Indiana, USA
nitro2k01 wrote:

Keep in mind that one of the 4 wires is for the existing jack is for the switch that turns off the speaker when headphones are inserted. You probably screwed up which wires goes where.

The prosound mod on the original jack didn't produce any sound out of the speaker when the headphones were in, it was just quiet. The external prosound jack had the problem with producing sound out of both speakers. And I'm almost positive I wired correctly could static cause problems like these?

Last edited by zaxxon (May 18, 2012 10:02 pm)

Medina, Ohio
zaxxon wrote:
firebrandboy wrote:

Well not through headphones. Prosound is for better recording and playing through an audio system as well as noise reduction. Try plugging that baby into an audio system and see how it sounds smile Although, IDK about the screen fade thingy...id have to see a picture of it smile

.FILTHadelphia

Don't use that Get LoFi tutorial. They solder to the wrong pots making it mono.

UK
zaxxon wrote:
firebrandboy wrote:

no. it bypasses the headphone amplifier. therefore the signal is at line-level. as a result, there will be a drop in volume when listening through headphones but it will be better for recording purposes.

(219) Indiana, USA

thanks, but I still don't understand why the sound is coming out of the speakers too when i plug in headphones

Last edited by zaxxon (May 18, 2012 11:59 pm)

Medina, Ohio
zaxxon wrote:

thanks, but I still don't understand why the sound is coming out of the speakers too when i plug in headphones

Thats because it is no longer a switched jack smile Or if it is not the original jack, and its an additional one, it isn't switched smile

Last edited by dsv101 (May 19, 2012 12:03 am)

(219) Indiana, USA
dsv101 wrote:
zaxxon wrote:

Thats because it is no longer a switched jack smile

So no matter what I do it will do this?