FERNDALE, MI, USA

im in love with this thread! wub wub wub wuuuuuuuuuuub wurrrb wub this shit! heart :3

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I totally love this 'Dubstep experience' SID track:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/down … ?id=107029 (PRG for emulator)
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/down … ?id=107028 (SID file)
By Kasmo/Oxyron

California
Dot.AY wrote:

Rei the best bet is to listen to a bunch of the artists posted here

generally slow tempo and heavy on bass content (getting into more detail is pointless I think)

In terms of doing it in LSDJ turn the tempo down and get a killer bass sound... I think "how to make genre x with tool x" discussions are often very far from the point of making music.. listen to some of these artists if you like it feel free to emulate or try and capture what they do through another medium

Whoever suggested Loops Haunt (infotoxin)
AMAZING thank you so much for others check this mix out
http://mixedbizness.co.uk/sounds/loops_ … i_mixx.mp3

I also really love the ridiculous wobble stuff, I know they take it seriously but I think it is hilarious fun

I totally agree with you but sometimes these electronic genres have specifics as to how they are defined. like maybe certain methods for developing a beat or whatever. but yeah 100% agree.... I for the most part do not really like all these "sub genres" thiscore adn thatcore. gets annoying.

London, UK

funny you should post that trolley snatcha tune mike, the b side is quite chippy and the bass is much, much better

uhajdafdfdfa

If you are just looking for growling noisy bassy wobble stuff to break your subwoofer with, then try:

If you're looking for something musical, then I have no idea. There was something on Hyperdub which sounded like little-scale, but I've forgotten what it was. smile

London, UK
ant1 wrote:

If you're looking for something musical, then I have no idea. There was something on Hyperdub which sounded like little-scale, but I've forgotten what it was. smile

quarta330?

uhajdafdfdfa

Hehe, no, not Quarta330, I didn't mean instruments-wise. tongue

Dublin, Ireland
Rei Yano wrote:

so what really defines dubstep and how would one make a dub step song in something like LSDJ.

Very little really.

Dot.AY wrote:

Rei the best bet is to listen to a bunch of the artists posted here

This.
Listen to a lot, find some styles you like, emulate them, progress and develop your own.
Bare in mind there's dubstep that takes cues from all other kinds of music out there... grime, garage, dub, techno, acid house, glitch, hip-hop... it's all very open.

And I'm sure you'll get some help if you ask on here for advice on recreating any more specific sound in lsdj or whatever else.

Dot.AY wrote:

generally slow tempo and heavy on bass content (getting into more detail is pointless I think)

I will be pointless...
Well, the tempo's generally 130-140, most commonly half-time, often with triplet patterned hats. Though 2-step's used a lot too.
Sub Bass (which game boys aren't really capable of, Quarta330 is definitely onto something though smile and maybe try experimenting with with an underclocked DMG)
And, hopefully an experimental outlook, and maybe a bit of a dub influence.

Alll rules are to be broken and trying to define anything more is simply counter-productive and kind of missing the point.

Dot.AY wrote:

Whoever suggested Loops Haunt (infotoxin)
AMAZING thank you so much for others check this mix out
http://mixedbizness.co.uk/sounds/loops_ … i_mixx.mp3

Thanks for the mix. smile

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Jan 13, 2010 8:50 pm)

Norwich / London

16 Bit
Toast
Trolley Snatcha
Stenchman
Zomby
Burial
Cookie Monster
Pacheko
Pocz
Cardopusher
Cotti
Coki
Benga
Rusko
Caspa
Plastician
Skream
Starky
Bok Bok
Boregore
Datsik
Level 67
The bug

THERE ARE TO MANY sad

Dubstep's lost its appeal to me now. It was good when it was new and original but now it all sounds the same all the new people basically copy older songs.

Last edited by Kid Icaris (Jan 14, 2010 1:44 am)

Corpus Christi, Texas

I don't have anything new to add but I'd like to second (third?) 16bit, Benga, Boregore, Caspa, Coki, Cookie Monster, Rusko, and Skream

Corpus Christi, Texas

oops

Last edited by koze (Jan 14, 2010 2:53 am)

Norwich / London

nice bit of slow chiptuney dubstep

Last edited by Kid Icaris (Jan 16, 2010 5:51 pm)

Huddersfield, UK

There's a few artists out there that appeal to me but nothing majorly new or different, just the same usual suspects that everybody else has mentioned... as it's popularity has exploded it's hard to trawl through all the shit to find any good stuff, a bit like what people said about 8bc in the end.

Anyway, I personally like Skream, Benga, Rusko, Caspa, Coki and Burial but that's about as far as it goes for me and dubstep. It was entertaining to listen to at first but once every middle class whiteboy dj that used to play "electro" started dropping the same stuff that you and others had been listening to a year before it lost it's appeal somewhat.

I still enjoy listening to the odd Mishka mix now and again though, the one by The Others (volume three I think?) is my favourite smile

Zomby and Quarta 330 are both on Hyperdub possibly the best dub label out there, but better yet these 2 actually make their music on old videogame hardware. So maybe you guys would enjoy their music...

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=217257 <-- get that

Huddersfield, UK
Flopps wrote:

Zomby and Quarta 330 are both on Hyperdub possibly the best dub label out there, but better yet these 2 actually make their music on old videogame hardware. So maybe you guys would enjoy their music...

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=217257 <-- get that

Yeah! Forgot about those two, they were both on the "5 years of Hyperdub" CD that I've got. Cow'p is a good shout too along with a guy called "wildman steve" if you want more bleepy-dub (lol)

rusko
oh, some rusko as well
maybe some rusko while youre at it, although i've heard rusko is better due to him doing stuff with rusko - although rusko said he didnt like ruskos stuff
rusko is decent
although if its more hard dubstep, id reccomend rusko