Philadelphia PA

Hey friends. A couple of years ago, I was really into modifying my Game Boys and whatnot. I've done a few projects, but I had to put them (as well as my songwriting) on hold when I went into grad school. Now that I'm out, I was hoping to look through the 8bc archives and grab the helpful hints, diagrams, and tutorials that folks had left me, but it seems that it's all been down for some time. I have a few of the projects saved on my hard drive except for the one that I want to do the most. I want to be able to hook my DMG into an external controller so that I can build a foot pedal to dynamically control my songs as I play them. I play with guitars and keyboards as well, so it would be really helpful to be able to cut the LSDJ track, lengthen certain sections, and be able to make each performance different. Does anyone know how I would go about doing that without completely destroying the DMG's normal controls?

USA

Have you seen this ? -

animal-style.com

Unsubscribe

^
|
|

Too Slow!

http://filefreakout.com/animalstyle/?page_id=350

Last edited by herr_prof (May 21, 2012 10:37 pm)

Philadelphia PA

Yeah. Animal Style has a mod like that. I'm looking for a mod that will still let me use the buttons on the DMG. I think Nex had a way of wiring into where the ribbon is that connects the two pieces. I could be wrong. It's been a while!

Philadelphia PA

Oh hey, that IS Animal Style's mod! Another good Philly fella.

You can always make an lsdj keyboard... Lots of control there!

http://the.fontvir.us/b10g/?id=126

Philadelphia PA

Good call! Modifying an LSDJ keyboard into a foot pedal would mean I wouldn't have to cut apart my DMG anymore and just use the link port. That could work better than my original plan.

Unsubscribe

Indeed a good idea.. lots of micro ps2 keyboards to hack!

Milwaukee Area, WI

What about MIDI control? What kind of functions can I expect?

killadelphia

i can give you some tips - there is some info missing on my site right now...  basically stuff i figured out after i wrote the article - i should update it.  You need to use some signal diodes and a battery for the original DMG.  the gb color doesn't need any extra components.... gb color is way easier if you're testing.  Did Johan's updates decrease the latency with the keyboard?

Last edited by animalstyle (May 22, 2012 5:51 am)

killadelphia

with the gameboy color at one point i actually put a NES controller port on the side of the breakout box so i could have a d-pad if i wanted.  That worked really really well.  Never got that far with the original DMG though.  It was handy for composing.

Last edited by animalstyle (May 22, 2012 5:56 am)

Cleveland, OH

Check the pinout on the ribbon cable connector area:

Philadelphia PA

What kind of latency problems are there with the keyboard? I'm really just looking to be able to control the songs realtime so I only need a few buttons that work well.

That's the pinout I was looking for! Do you have any kind of tutorial written up about how one would go about using that information to hook up an external controller?