To be honest I'm not convinced that the majority of people are intelligent/nerdy enough to care whether interesting sounds can be made with old video game consoles...

4mat's right too - I don't think the chipmusic 'scene' has done a very good job at building a credible reputation in the alternative music press (not that that matters right...? I'm still going to listen to Zeta Force and Tree of Knowledge and love every second of it, so fuck the hipsters), and indeed the very fact artists associated with the chipmusic 'scene' rarely collaborate with non-chipmusic artists/labels/promoters/etc. (successful exceptions - Quarta330 on Hyperdub, Bodenstandig 2000 on Rephlex, gwEm on Shitkatapult etc) means this '8bit covers!!' attitude is to be expected.

Last edited by Stevens (May 23, 2012 10:22 am)

Liverpool, UK

tldr - butthurt because guy doing faux-chiptune covers and getting press isn't "one of us".

England

I'm still waiting for the Whitney 8bit tributes sad

Last edited by Jellica (May 23, 2012 11:56 am)

England

oh should have searched before posting

England

its actually pretty good if you play them both at the same time

L0O3, C0rnw4//.

sounds like someone found out about GXSCC and was all....this is do0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0ope 8D youtube here I comez.

New York City
celsius wrote:

For me it's a completely uninspired, paint by numbers cover of the album. Nothing interesting or unique about the synth design and no new take on any of the compositons. Might as well be a Kareoke general midi version of a song because it's not far removed from that.

Whenever someone does an "8-bit" cover album like this it just means a barage of emails, tweets and co-workers tapping you on the sholder cause you're "that video game music guy" to tell you about this awesome 8-bit cover album. Yawn.

</oldman>

Totally agreed with what Celsius says here.

I also tried to gave these two a hear. They are unbearable, bleepy bloppy sounding junk. It really annoyed me. They also have mistakes.

You know, to make it big in cheapchoon, you gotta do unoriginal, uninspired work like covers. So get cracking.

L0O3, C0rnw4//.
akira^8GB wrote:

You know, to make it big in cheapchoon, you gotta do unoriginal, uninspired work like covers. So get cracking.

Don't forget youtube, bitches love youtube.

A gray world of dread
akira^8GB wrote:

unoriginal, uninspired work like covers

I still enjoy listening to good covers, as well as making them myself from time to time.

I couldn't care less about Pitchfork or whoever herp-derping over MIDI conversions. I don't even care about people enjoying this stuff- musical quality and popularity and (woah!) having fun listening to something aren't interdependent.

calmdownkidder wrote:

tldr - butthurt because guy doing faux-chiptune covers and getting press isn't "one of us".

point missed, congratulation.

BK

Couldn't listen to these for more than 10 seconds. Seriously boring. I'm a big fan of both original albums, and these cover versions are serious bummers.

バード大学
akira^8GB wrote:

Wrote a cover of TMBG's "Hearing Aid" the other day. amidoinitrite?

Westfield, NJ

you are all suckers for listening to these. I'm not even gonna click play. ::swag::

Gosford, Australia
4mat wrote:

The only coverage we get are chip covers albums, which people rant about on here and yet continue working on more of them.  So it's not the magazine's fault it's yours.

i'm not going to lie, i am definitely partially responsible for some of this.

Last edited by Victory Road (May 23, 2012 1:58 pm)

California

We should all collaborate and make some good Radiohead cover albums and then show them to Pitchfork and explain why those covers are shit.

Last edited by VCMG (May 23, 2012 2:03 pm)

Gosford, Australia

nah that would require effort