Melbourne, AU
Victory Road wrote:
4mat wrote:

The only coverage we get are chip covers albums, which people rant about on here and yet continue working on more of them.  So it's not the magazine's fault it's yours.

i'm not going to lie, i am definitely partially responsible for some of this.

Youtube comments are always entertaining.

Good old 8 bit music god back then it was so cool to have an nintendo with pokemon and co. And now childs always play stupid cod. WE WANT THE GOOD OLD TIMES BACK!!!
TheXboxelitegamer360 1 month ago

goddamnit        GXSCC

thexboxelitegamer360 wrote:

Good old 8 bit music god back then it was so cool to have an nintendo with pokemon and co. And now childs always play stupid cod. WE WANT THE GOOD OLD TIMES BACK!!!

Victory Road wrote:

"the good old times"? the game boy color is probably older than you..

Ouch BURN! Not even worthy of the classic GB!

Brooklyn NY US

I don't think covers are the intrinsic problem. If I'm in a rock band and we decide to cover a song we like by an artist we like, out of a genuine appreciation for the song and an interest in "trying it on," we'll do it for those reasons. And, if we have any talent / ability and we're lucky, maybe we'll even succeed at creating a unique reinterpretation that respects the original without being a straight clone of it. Swap out the guitars & drums (or whatever) for chipmusic gear and I don't see anything changing that equation.

Seattle, WA

@Bit Shifter: Word. There are some great chiptune covers out there. The bad ones are the ones that feel like they're just being "8-bit" for the sake of being 8-bit, and not injecting some originality and creativity into it. It's the equivelant approach of your standard dive bar cover band.

Tulsa, OK

it cool that this was done, but the execution is lacking sad

Westfield, NJ
Stenobot wrote:

@Bit Shifter: Word. There are some great chiptune covers out there. The bad ones are the ones that feel like they're just being "8-bit" for the sake of being 8-bit, and not injecting some originality and creativity into it. It's the equivelant approach of your standard dive bar cover band.

but to be fair, the vast majority of covers on Youtube are just that: 8-bit for the sake of being 8-bit. Then again, it's Youtube.

The problem is not these covers. It's that Pitchfork featured them.

Westfield, NJ
Bit Shifter wrote:

I don't think covers are the intrinsic problem. If I'm in a rock band and we decide to cover a song we like by an artist we like, out of a genuine appreciation for the song and an interest in "trying it on," we'll do it for those reasons. And, if we have any talent / ability and we're lucky, maybe we'll even succeed at creating a unique reinterpretation that respects the original without being a straight clone of it. Swap out the guitars & drums (or whatever) for chipmusic gear and I don't see anything changing that equation.

p.s. on second thought... do people have different expectations from electronic covers than they do from acoustic ones? Would Pitchfork feature a rock cover of a rock song that just sounds like the original? would they feature a chip cover of a rock song that tries to inject its own style or imagination into the original? would we call that a remix and not a cover?

Seattle, WA
Decktonic wrote:
Stenobot wrote:

but to be fair, the vast majority of covers on Youtube are just that: 8-bit for the sake of being 8-bit. Then again, it's Youtube.

The problem is not these covers. It's that Pitchfork featured them.

I make it a policy to never read Pitchfork, ever, about anything smile I think that's true that the majority of 8-bit covers aren't very good. But there's also some really great stuff out there. For me, 8-Bit Operators is the gold standard of chiptune cover projects.

chiptune covers are now so ubiquitous as to be the equivalent of typing "<song name> dubstep remix" into you tube.  if we want to be the comedy clowns of music styles then keep on with it.

uhajdafdfdfa

you're surprised that pitchfork are saying nice things about crap music?? it's all they've EVER done!

Unsubscribe

Fuck you guys Summer Twins Rule.

Geneva, NY
Decktonic wrote:

would they feature a chip cover of a rock song that tries to inject its own style or imagination into the original? would we call that a remix and not a cover?

Sure people would call that a remix and sure they would be wrong. Remix should always include original source material. If it doesn't, it's a cover.

4mat wrote:

if we want to be the comedy clowns of music styles then keep on with it.

Brooklyn NY US

To each one's own. I think the tradition of an artist doing a rendition of another artist's song is one with a pretty rich and far-reaching history. And like anything, it's possible to do it tastefully and well, and it's possible to do it poorly, crassly, or disingenuously. Instrumentation has nothing to do with that. I think a "welcome to chipmusic; covers prohibited" attitude is silly and shortsighted.

Bit Shifter wrote:

I think a "welcome to chipmusic; covers prohibited" attitude is silly and shortsighted.

And adding to that, I think a welldone and unique cover of any tune in ANY style is really something we should treasure. It's just a shame that there are people out there that unfortunately view covers as a cookie cutter method to publicity, I guess.