Philadelphia, United States

Okay so I've been using a pretty nice mackie mixer, and I'm running 2 gameboys through it through main inputs. I have to amps connected to the 2 output jacks.

My problem is that the panning from lsdj is not showing up through the amps. In fact, most of the time, the speakers are leaving out noted panned to the left side completely...which obviously detracts from the sound...

so...what should I do to get the full sound from my mixer/amps/gameboy?

SF

Sounds like you might be using mono cables, or your amps are mono.

Tacoma WA

what mixer?

are the cables mono?

is it a mono mixer?

i have a mackie cr1604 and its mono i have to hook up to two channels and hard pan each channel.

hm I will find that out.

York, Yorkshire

Many PA systems are mono (typically the larger ones), but they should mix left and right into one mono signal.

Presumably you are using a passive stereo mixer with active speakers?  That being the case, are the speakers connected to separate (L+R) outputs? Or are they daisy chained somehow? You can check this by using a mono source such as a mic, and panning it....well, other than actually looking at the sockets big_smile

Failing all the above, the other option is to plug L+R from the DMG into two separate channels smile

Thanks. Yeah on the mixer there are L and R speaker jacks, and I have an amp plugged into both. I can pan between speakers, but both speakers leave on the L panned sounds from the gameboy. I think im going to try to plug the gameboy into 2 jacks... I just need to find some splitters.

Tacoma WA

splitters?

just get a 1/8 to 1/4" insert cable

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … le_to.html

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

first: If you are plugging your dmg's into mono channels you need to pan  one of them left and the other right.

second: "to" and "two" are two different words. wink Slow down when typing/posting a thread.

Now... Explain your entire setup going from the output of the gameboy to the amps/speakers.

if you take the cable that infradead posted a picture of out of your dmg and into either (2) Mono channels of your mixer or (1) Stereo channel of your mixer
it should be pretty straight forward if you have stereo channels.... but with mono you have to remember it's taking a mono signal and sending that out both the L and R 's of your mixer. so you have to "assign" them to Left and Right via your pan knob on the mono channels. So you'd take your Left input from the gameboy and pan it Left on the mixer. and your right input from your gameboy and pan it right on your mixer. that should split the two signals to L and R of your main outputs.

Good luck in your signal flow adventures! It can be a head twister at first but once you understand the inner workings of how mixers and signal flow works
it really gets easier. If you have a block diagram of your mixer you should take a look at it.. it will probably help make things understand.

here is an example of what i am talking about.