Youngstown, OH

I'm primarily a 16-bit guy but also do some 8-bit here and there.

Earlier this year I put together a compilation album/soundfont bundle with other SNES artists I know called I Miss You - EarthBound 2012 that was subsequently picked up by Ubiktune. Thinking about doing another one this summer, just curious who else is out there. Feel free to post some music if you've got it.

Chicago IL

i've started messing around with SNES soundfonts but haven't really finished anything yet. right now i'm working on a game soundtrack that's a mix of those SNES soundfonts and Famitracker.

NSW, Australia

i plan on getting a SNES soon wink

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jul 5, 2012 6:22 am)

I use SNES sounds (using resampled sounds rather than soundfonts) in a lot of my work. Joshua Morse did a nice 'SNES-style' release (that, to my ears sounds like it used some soundfonts). Check that out here.

I'd be interested to know if there are any other people using the SNES out there, I've started threads both here and on 8bc about it but there isn't really much about. In terms of official .spc tracks Syphus did an amazing .mod to .spc conversion track (check that here).

Melbourne, AU

How do people write music for SNES anyway?

Brazil
mysterystain wrote:

How do people write music for SNES anyway?

That's my question too. I know that they are all samples, but there are some stuff you can't replicate like the reverb.
How can we do it by not using soundfonts? I used some soundfonts on lgpt, but i'm not very fond of it.

Russia, Moscow

There are converters from IT and XM (with many limitations, not for random files).

Youngstown, OH

Typically what you get are people who use SNES soundfonts in a DAW and limit themselves to a maximum polyphony of 8 voices (same as the SNES, including sound channel I believe). Then to approximate effects such as SNES reverb you could do several things. I like to copy and paste midi data and give it an offset of a few milliseconds to get the effect. You can also use more authentic means such as milkytracker, modplug, etc. You can even export these files to .spc and play them on actual hardware, but I've never done this myself.

@Stevens: I worked with Joshua Morse during the EarthBound album, super talented. Digging the album, I didn't know he had a bandcamp.

SNESology! Also, this guy!

Ballard, Washington

I use SNESMOD and it works great.  I've only ever had issues with bass samples.  I've ripped bass guitar samples from many SNES games, sampled my own but they often sound glitchy after being converted using smconv.  Not too terrible, mind, but a bit clicky at the beginning of most notes.

Still, it's better than before when I was limited to 4 channel mods.

Youngstown, OH

Yeah, sometimes the clipping is just an arbitrary artifact from import/export but you can usually trim it out in audacity or something. At least when compiling a soundfont since there aren't usually artifacts added past rips from the game rom/.spc/.it in my experience.

My Igloo

Hi guys! I'm also doing some SNES influenced music with soundfonts. I do a pretty weird blend of 8-bit/16-bit and FM so it's obviously rarely only SNES sounds I'm working with.

Here's an example: http://soundcloud.com/polarbirds/first-aid-bit

I don't know if this is exactly what you meant by "SNES artist" but I am very fond of the SNES sounds anyhow.
I'm actually working on an album atm which features alot of SNES and FM elements (will probably be ready around early fall).

I love Joshua Morse and I liked the EarthBound album but actually never played the games so I find it a little hard to relate to. Great stuff anyways.
Pongball is probably one of my favourite SNES artists if you could call her that. Geckoyamori makes insanely good SNES stuff too!

Cheers!

Last edited by PolarBirds (Jun 8, 2012 12:46 am)

and here I was thinking my only options were Mario Paint. I actually bought a portable SNES so I could play any mario paint songs I made for like a interlude type deal.

Youngstown, OH

That's still pretty cool though. If all you wanted were those sounds though yeah, you could do it elsewhere in a more user-friendly interface.

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (Jun 10, 2012 7:58 am)

Ohio
sleepytimejesse wrote:

That's still pretty cool though. If all you wanted were those sounds though yeah, you could do it elsewhere in a more user-friendly interface.

your referring to mario paint on the computer? i saw a youtube video where a person did the whole imperial march (darth vaders theme song)
the tempo was pretty insane.

Austin, Texas

I'm going to feel like an idiot for asking this, but there's no currently available or in development tracker for SNES?

Are there any development docs for homebrew and demoscene use? A really devoted person could just write their songs in assembly from scratch… theoretically. That'd be lightyears beyond my abilities.