Maine
Timbob wrote:

A set of DMG's I did for a buddy.

Two transparent cases painted from the inside in a nice 80's gradient colour style thing.
Matching schemes and everything. the blue/magenta one might get green buttons, but that's up to him tongue

wow that looks pro!
awesome job

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Whoa those look so good! And the logo came out great smile

Now I am extremely curious about how to make that logo thing myself... xD

Detroit, Michigan
thebitman wrote:

Now I am extremely curious about how to make that logo thing myself... xD

I would imagine that you just print it out and just put it behind the lcd glass

Austin, Texas

You'd have to put it behind the polarizer, on top of the diffuser.

that gradient is flawless! gaddamn

Thanks all smile
I was quite happy how they turned out as well, they make a nice set.

It was the first time I painted a transparent DMG. so, win!

KC

what kind of paint did you use?

Utrecht, The Netherlands

Timbob is tha man! (also: I want one).

I got a few questions about how I did those gameboys.
so:

I used Montana paint. From the mtn '94 range.
http://www.mtncolors.com/products/56-94

These are pretty bright coloured paints with a matte finish. Since the gameboy is painted from the inside, it's still smooth. I like these paints because they seem to stick on pretty much everything, but it's whatever paint you like best I guess.
I sprayed maybe 2 layers of colour first, and finished of with a clear coat, to prevent scratching when assembling the gameboy again.

I don't have a lot of under construction pics, sorry. But basically, what I did, was first start with taping the complete outside of the dmg (which is a bitch to do, but take your time, because it's easier then having to clean the outside later on.)

then I lay both halves down, and cover the bottom part with just a piece of paper. spraying basically just the top, and creating a gradient from blue to nothing.

the thing with painting from the inside is, you can't redo something when you went to far. If it was a normal gameboy painted from the outside, you could just paint it all blue, and layer the green on it later..

once you have one colour on, you can paint the bottom. If the first gradient is ok, you can basically just fill the rest.
One tip I can give, is to make the front part of the tape easy to peal. so you can check halfway if everything is covered. (screwholes and parts behind bits of upstanding plastic are hard to reach sometimes.)

Anyway, most of it is just knowing how to handle a spraycan. Long strokes from left to right, always start and stop spraying away from your subject. (to avoid drips)

You could practice with plastic containers for example.

that's about all I can think of right now tongue

Austria

Well done Timbob !! Very inspiring paintjob. The blue colour reminds me of my current project, you also choose the same pink buttons that match the gameboy font on the clearboy big_smile

(219) Indiana, USA

is montana 94 powder based paint or liquid?

Austin, Texas

If I recall correctly, it's an acrylic spraypaint. I looked for the ingredients list, but so far I've only found the MSDS sheet.

Usually I see acetone as one of the solvents in acrylic spraypaint, so maybe this one isn't… it's probably oil-based, then.

regardless, I'm pretty sure it's a liquid base. If you're curious about how he got such clean fades, it's a mix of the quality of paint and the quality of his technique. Someone with a graffiti background picks up that kind of can control after a while. cool

It also helps to have the right effects caps

Also, the paint smells like vanilla.

Might be worth mentioning.

Detroit, Michigan
Timbob wrote:

Also, the paint smells like vanilla.

Might be worth mentioning.

Want to use nao just becuase of this

Philadelphia

Yes, Montana paint works wonders!