Louisiana

Yea the very first thing I planned on doing when I got my hands on one of kitschs cases was to do dedicated left and right 1/4 inch jacks just like that. Just haven't taken the trip to RadioShack to get the parts yet. It's nice to know that it can be done without removing the speaker it seems. Which is pretty exciting news to me. And the idea of future models not having a battery compartment at all is pretty epic. That's a load of room we can play with. However I wouldn't convert them all to this idea. There are people that will still want the battery compartment, me being one of them. But I doubt that Matt would do something so crazy. Lol also I'll be adding more gear in this thread shortly. Hopefully doing a few more mods tonight.

matt's mind

no, i won't convert the whole project to that.  just make a new revision, it'd require a new mould for a change like that.

Louisiana
kitsch wrote:

no, i won't convert the whole project to that.  just make a new revision, it'd require a new mould for a change like that.

Good to know man lol. Can't wait to see what's next though. ~fingers crossed~ for clear cases or black cases soon.

Well back to topic but still semi off. These are two more of my babies. My green boy which I have posted before but why not add it here right. Also the kitsch case a friend of mine bought for me up at blip and sent to me with black screen and GID buttons, also posted previously. The ticket to this post isn't exactly its more to show off the epicness that I just got today for 8$ total! I'm a huge Star Wars fan as I'm sure many of you here are. Check it out...

Starting from left to right. We have original Star Wars post 1million copies sold. Then comes the good stuff. All three of the original DMG Star Wars game PRE 1million copies sold! I freaked the hell out when I found them. And freaked even more when I tested them and realized they all worked!

BC, Canada
don't rock the goat wrote:
Vex wrote:

There's a good place on the back of gameboy pockets next to the batteries on the back but it makes it hard to place flat in a table.

That's why I didn't do it, I wanted it to lay flat on a table. I might just keep it internally prosounded though.

A tiny DIP switch glued in behind where the battery door clips in should work fine, but you'd need a screwdriver or something to toggle it. Or maybe even one cut into the slope along the bottom.

Here's my stuff. Nothing special. From the right:
three broken GameBoys (fixing up or using as parts),
a GBA, a DMG with a new screen and buttons, a GBC, a backlight MGB,
a PSP-3000 running LGPT, a Caanoo running Milkytracker.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50351929/CIMG6945.JPG

I nearly forgot this abomination... I'll have to LED-mod that Nuby at some point, but that's been put on hold since my ~100 bright white LEDs were stolen.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50351929/CIMG6951.JPG

I also have an LSDJ PS/2 keyboard, but I don't know where it is, and I have a half-finished LSDJ MIDI sync adapter made out of bent opaque plastic.

I've mostly focused on practicality (one or two GameBoys with lighting) and only replacing parts that really needed replacement; my DMG desperately needed new buttons and a new screen. Maybe I'll make some money and do more mods.

Last edited by munchluxe63 (Jun 13, 2012 3:26 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne
Vex wrote:

Just haven't taken the trip to RadioShack to get the parts yet. It's nice to know that it can be done without removing the speaker it seems.

Don't get your jacks from RadioShack, you'll regret it in the long run. Order some Neutriks, or Switchcraft has an equivalent part I believe, although I don't know exactly how it will fit.

And yes, speaker still in, plus I squeezed in an EL backlight inverter, and based on previous experience I'm certain I could also fit in a pitch control kit if I wanted to go through pure hell again.

BC, Canada
kineticturtle wrote:
Vex wrote:

Just haven't taken the trip to RadioShack to get the parts yet. It's nice to know that it can be done without removing the speaker it seems.

Don't get your jacks from RadioShack, you'll regret it in the long run. Order some Neutriks, or Switchcraft has an equivalent part I believe, although I don't know exactly how it will fit.

And yes, speaker still in, plus I squeezed in an EL backlight inverter, and based on previous experience I'm certain I could also fit in a pitch control kit if I wanted to go through pure hell again.

Even local electronics shops are better than Radio Shack (The Source if you're in Canada). They have a much wider catalogue of parts at lower prices, some of them deliver, and you can ask them anything. I get all my parts from this one Asian-run shop downtown.

Last edited by munchluxe63 (Jun 13, 2012 3:53 am)

Do those mouser jacks also fit in original dmg's?

Matthew Joseph Payne

They do. The right side does not look pretty if you do two, because of the curve around the speaker. The jack I linked to is stereo, so you could do a single stereo 1/4" mod in the right hand side, but you'll need to use an insert cable to get stereo sound out of your gameboy.

The right side is also a bitch to drill because of that curve. Attack it diagonally with a step bit, then turn the bit slowly as it steps in. Take your time, and try it on a fucked up shell first if you have one.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Jun 13, 2012 6:58 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne
munchluxe63 wrote:

Even local electronics shops are better than Radio Shack

In fact, for this particular part, you would do well to check guitar shops and guitar repair shops; these jacks are most often used in solidbody guitars and basses. Don't get the ones with endpin strap buttons. Guitar shops often will only have the mono ones - if you're doing a dual 1/4" thing, then that's fine.

Louisiana
kineticturtle wrote:
munchluxe63 wrote:

Even local electronics shops are better than Radio Shack

In fact, for this particular part, you would do well to check guitar shops and guitar repair shops; these jacks are most often used in solidbody guitars and basses. Don't get the ones with endpin strap buttons. Guitar shops often will only have the mono ones - if you're doing a dual 1/4" thing, then that's fine.

This actually helps loads. Haha never would of thought hitting up a guitar shop for any. And I'm in a guitar shop weekly lol. Thanks man lol

Unsubscribe

I have to say that radio shack has gotten loads better in the last year or so.. you can even buy arduinos there! I havent seen an local electronics store in years.

matt's mind

my brother called me up pretty excited yesterday about radioshack.  he mentioned the arduino boards too.  not just the boards, but project kits and all sorts of stuff apparently.

they were pretty close to being a cell phone shop for a while, then they sent out that questionnaire thing around and there were so many pleas for electronics kits again i guess they listened.

radioshack at one point had a synth released w/ moog.  hopefully those days are coming back.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Those Realistic synths! Those are super cool.

I did hear about the Arduino thing, and that's awesome - their parts bins are still awful - badly stocked, always disorganized, poor quality parts - so hopefully they'll turn that around. I think they're aware of how the geek community sees them, but they're making more money with cell phones so we'll see what happens.

Louisiana

Another DMG I just modded for a friend of mine.

I think it's pretty lol

Fargo, ND.

Bumping. This is my baaaaaby! :>

the backlight is inverted red, but i haven't gotten a great shot of it in action yet.

Last edited by Poseidon (Jun 23, 2012 4:28 pm)

Louisiana

That is one of the sexiest gameboys I have every seen man. Seriously wow. If it was a gamegirl and I was a gameboy there'd be some seriously rape happening to that thing...unless she was willing of course.then I'd love her tenderly lol

Last edited by Vex (Jun 23, 2012 10:44 pm)