Santa Cruz, California
Enfy wrote:

This should be real T.T

Challenge Accepted

matt's mind

puleeeeeeeese do that.  that would be in the tops of real (not photoshoped) mods ever done i'd think.  i mean, if both the thumbsticks are functional somehow...  no brainer.

i'm rooting for you

root, root!

matt's mind

i don't think we make any parts which would directly relate to attempting this mod,

but if you happen to think of some way we can help with that, let me know!

Santa Cruz, California
kitsch wrote:

i don't think we make any parts which would directly relate to attempting this mod,

but if you happen to think of some way we can help with that, let me know!

After I figure out the logistics, I'll let you know if I need anything.
Probably going to run it on Raspberry Pi. That will allow me to use the thumbsticks and just running emulation will save me the hassle of running the disk drive.

I'll definitely need a SONY screen cover made.

EDIT: Don't know that I'll be able to fit in a Gameboy Pocket though.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Jun 5, 2013 2:46 am)

NC in the US of America
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
Enfy wrote:

This should be real T.T

Challenge Accepted

I cringed when I saw that... But, yeah... it'd be a cool mod to see made.

Just please don't make A/B X/O or something silly like that. smile

It'd be really cool if it was an actual PSP rather than a Gameboy >:)

(219) Indiana, USA

Also how would you get a smaller screen connected to the psp in order for it to display like that?

Pittsburgh

The small joysticks on that remind me of the Pandora system. Screen is too big and the components are likely unable to fit inside the case, not to mention the fact that they cost $500. Still though, worth mentioning ;-)

http://openpandora.org/

hiding under your bed

I know I've already posted this mod in this thread, but I figured it might be worth mentioning that Rhett & Link received the DMG I sent them and posted about it on Facebook. Look at all those likes.

I also sent them a copy of LSDJ and one of Nick Maynard's How to make Chipmusic zines. Hopefully they'll get a kick out of messing around with it.

Last edited by PianoGameboy (Jun 5, 2013 5:38 am)

NC in the US of America

Sweet! They make cool quirky musics and mythical morning shows and stuff... It'd be cool if they did a LSDJ remix of one of their songs.

Vancouver, Wa

I considered building one like this when I first saw that picture years ago lol, it boils down to you can't do it in a pocket due to space limitations, and you have no use for 3 directional inputs and that row of buttons below the display unless they just were mostly aesthetic. I'd challenge you to a mod contest over it if we were sticking to DMG hardware though hahaha

Last edited by Burnfingers (Jun 5, 2013 4:11 pm)

Vancouver, Wa

*double post, sry*
how about some sound reactive button backlights? eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfSPP7vquM

Brighton, England
Burnfingers wrote:

*double post, sry*
how about some sound reactive button backlights? eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfSPP7vquM

Wow, that's beautiful.

Murcia, Spain

Cool mod! Did you use a microcontroller? And the "input"? Pre-pot connection?

Vancouver, Wa
DogTag wrote:

Shhhhhhh you'll give it away! >_< lol something like that. I started with a Antec USB light-stick weirdthingy i got at PDXLAN that had a sound reactive circuit based on a mic, and started tinkering with it to see what i could do. Once i managed to get rid of the mic lol i built this with what was left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiWQlulMzE

After that i spent some time being creative and came up with the reactive button lights idea and another one, an activity indicator LED that lets you tell at a glance if your DMG output is active. Both got installed in that DMG, which is for sale btw smile

Last edited by Burnfingers (Jun 5, 2013 10:42 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
Burnfingers wrote:
DogTag wrote:

Shhhhhhh you'll give it away! >_< lol something like that. I started with a Antec USB light-stick weirdthingy i got at PDXLAN that had a sound reactive circuit based on a mic, and started tinkering with it to see what i could do. Once i managed to get rid of the mic lol i built this with what was left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiWQlulMzE

After that i spent some time being creative and came up with the reactive button lights idea and another one, an activity indicator LED that lets you tell at a glance if your DMG output is active. Both got installed in that DMG, which is for sale btw smile

Amazing! Could we bother you for a tutorial on how to do this and exactly what parts to buy?
Or are you going the "a-magician-never-reveals-his-secrets" route?

There was a guide a year or so ago on this forum about making LED-lit buttons, I'll try and dig it up. I know kitsch has been working on silicone-like buttons with LED holes for at least a year (it's somewhere in his shop thread), but you can drill your own holes and put the LEDs in yourself on clear buttons (you may want to sand the outside to change the light diffraction, as well as cut notches for the LED legs to escape through for wiring in series).

Hard to execute, almost ALWAYS stunning when done smile looks great!