Thanks to the great tutorials and tips on this forum (Thanks everyone!)  I've overcome my fear and stencilled my GBC. I bit stolen the idea of Riendofmegaman with his Post Apocalypse Boy (http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7345/ … d/page/63/) smile. Next step is RCA prosound mod.  I hope you like it

ohgodno, Indiana
Adil Soubki wrote:

That NES looks awesome! What all did you do to it?

low-gain mod, ganna do a few more things to her

Oregon

Just got done with my first backlit DMG, it is biverted as well using one of the Thursday chips. I thought it was going to be moderately difficult, mainly because I was pretty nervous about pulling the film off the screen. It was a piece of cake, seriously easy. Hex was simple to install. I started with a nice shell but I pulled the bastard apart and scrubbed it spotless. It looks like my screen is off kilter in the picture, but it's the new screen protector. I must have gotten a wonky one, but it will work for now. My nanoloop cart comes on Monday.

Baton Rouge, LA

killedatschool wrote:

[photos]

This is one of my favorites so far.  Great to see something innovative / out of the ordinary with the paintwork.

CA
killedatschool wrote:

I think it's the best clear boy design I've seen so far...

Baton Rouge, LA
rvan wrote:
killedatschool wrote:

[photos]

This is one of my favorites so far.  Great to see something innovative / out of the ordinary with the paintwork.

Thanks dude! Had fun doin it.

Taichung, Taiwan

Teensyboy housed inside a SparkFun project case.

Jyväskylä, Finland

It's awesome to see so many neat looking mods! big_smile

Cleveland, OH
katsumbhong wrote:

Ahh! I was wondering why you were using such large perf board. Nice!

Baltimore
RJL wrote:

Are you referring to the white silicon d-pad pad?  One DMG I opened up had a white one,  so I saved it for a clear case project.  That DMG was also held together with phillips head screws,  instead of tri-wing screws.  Weird.

The buttons themselves are clear plastic,  not silicon.

Just finished moving stuff around in a DMG i bought at a flea market, prepped for a 1/4th promod.

Mine had the white dpad/button pads too, along with the silver phillips screws.

Is this a uncommon?

Boise, ID
killedatschool wrote:

I like how well the lsdj sticker goes with the rest of the design. Slick!

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (May 12, 2014 9:11 am)

Taichung, Taiwan
thursdaycustoms wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

Ahh! I was wondering why you were using such large perf board. Nice!

Through hole components until I can get myself a reflow station and familiarity with EAGLE.

Tokyo

So, it was a busy backlighting night for me as I got another shipment of parts.  My first attempt at backlighting was thwarted by my inability to read directions, but I have since found the error of my ways and am happy to report no more backlight casualties.  Anyways, here's the whole crew now.

First off we have the classic.  My bro hooked me up with a 2x pink backlight so I just threw it into this guy and really enjoy how it looks.  Nice and simple.

The next one up was a gift to start me on my chiptunes journey (still haven't written anything resembling a song, but I'm making progress in my LSDJ knowledge) by my older bro.  1/4" pro sound and 3x indigo backlight.

This is the cutie fruity watermelon boy.

I call this the Game Boy DS (Donald Sterling).  Too soon?

And this is the Ice Boy.

And this is the current family.  No doubt there will be more in the future, but maybe I should actually start putting these guys to work before that.

And this awesome guy is my Hyper Boy that I just got.  Would love to swap in some cooler lights and crisper speakers to turn it into a chiptune boombox of sorts.  But I'll save that for another thread.

Anyways, I've definitely caught the modding bug.  Next up is prosounding and then probably some biverting as they are all just inverted right now.  But I'm very pleased with how they've turned out so far.

killedatschool wrote:

Good shit.  I like the balance you got with painting just a little.

This reminds me of some ideas I wanted to try out.  I don't think I will be doing many mods for the next year or so (too many Game Boys that I don't want to part with...plus I NEED those kitsch LCDs), but I would like to get back around to it.  I will most likely get Teh D3th St4r to paint it if he can, since we have already discussed it a little, and my painting skills suck.

SLC, UT

Just finished this today. It took forever because I messed up the joystick spacer pad/contact thing, so the joystick wasn't working at all. I finally said screw it and soldered a ribbon cable to the joystick and motherboard, and it works like a dream.

I left out the UMD drive, because I guess it didn't work and I could never see myself using it. It's substantially lighter now!

Look how much empty room there is! It needs something, extended battery, big speaker, or MIDI in/out?

Crappy close up of the ribbon cable.