Wellington, New Zealand

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Brother yes.

Portland, Oregon

Awesome.
..And,
In July I'm leaving to Auckland on  study-abroad.
After discovering that there's a sweet chiptune scene,
well, I've pretty much just creamed all over my keyboard.

I'm going to clean this up now.

Wellington, New Zealand
squidtantrum wrote:

Awesome.
..And,
In July I'm leaving to Auckland

It's the place to be, we have to meet up!

Melbourne, Australia

Wow, this documentary is super negative. Seriously, it makes these artists seem like whiney incompetent kids. And why is an "ex-chip musician" interviewed". Yeah this genre that you haven't heard of is pretty cool and all but I quit because it was too limiting.

Last edited by Derris-Kharlan (Jun 5, 2012 11:44 pm)

matt's mind
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

And why is an "ex-chip musician" interviewed"?

yes.  this.  i'm confused by that.

vancouver, canada
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

Wow, this documentary is super negative. Seriously, it makes these artists seem like whiney incompetent kids. And why is an "ex-chip musician" interviewed". Yeah this genre that you haven't heard of is pretty cool and all but I quit because it was too limiting.

i had a similar feel after watching it.   i don't think it was as negative as you say but i do wish the doc shed more light on the global chipmusic community at large - it seems like there's a noticeable difference in how chipmusic is approached and perceived in NZ compared to other regions.

the main thing i disagree with is the video's implication that being called a chip musician is undesired.  sure, there can be certain stigmas attached to it but i'm sure there are many who don't mind wearing the label with pride.

i also was puzzled by how LSDJ-centric the doc appears at first.  later there's plenty of footage of other platforms like famitracker and the like, but no mention of said platforms.  just a little concerned that it skews the general idea of how chipmusic is made.

hardcore, Australia

tinkay.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Would our parents not be supportive? Also why would I care about their opinions? We're not all 12. hmm

Hrmmmm... I don't like this. Several of those artists were basically portrayed like "my music sucks but I shout and stuff and I give it my all so that's good enough."

Unsubscribe
Auxcide wrote:

Would our parents not be supportive? Also why would I care about their opinions? We're not all 12. hmm

Kwis love their mum.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

I'd say he might also be an "ex-chiptune musician" because he is in Bang! Bang! Eche! which are of decent-stage-at-Big-Day-Out size in NZ. He is a rad bro, mates with all those fellas and the interviewer has spoken to him before.

It is a bit of a negative piece generally. But we were totally like that in Aus years back. It's part of the cycle, I think.

This lil docco is a uni project and as such falls into a few traps that student productions tend to fall into. It could have been led away from the neg, but it wasn't - it is a learning experience.

It is great that something, whatever it is, has shed light on NZ chip. They're doing some unique stuff.

Gosford, Australia
Zef wrote:

Hrmmmm... I don't like this. Several of those artists were basically portrayed like "my music sucks but I shout and stuff and I give it my all so that's good enough."

tbh i'd be okay with this

Wellington, New Zealand

I can totally see where you guys are coming from regarding this documentary, you have to realise there really are only 4 active 'chip' artists in NZ (which has the same population as the city of Melbourne) the producers were hard pushed for interviewees.

I talked a lot, on camera, about the global chip scene especially solidarity with Australia but I guess it didn't make the 8minute cut. The producers wanted to create a piece that the average person could understand, hence no real material on the procedure and tools behind chipmusic, and the more personal questions.

Right now, for New Zealand Chiptune, we'll take whatever we can get in terms of media coverage.

Melbourne, Australia
Fauxhound wrote:

Right now, for New Zealand Chiptune, we'll take whatever we can get in terms of media coverage.

I remember those times in our scene's development. Don't worry. A time will come where you can be choosy pricks and decline shit. #gangsta.

tongue

Wellington, New Zealand

plus I'm pretty certain I say that I'm proud of what I create.