Sweeeeeeden

48/24 and 96/24 make sense for storing an original recording and processing audio, if you want to avoid artefacts or so. For distributing audio for listening, there's really no reason to go above 16-bit (if your format can use bits; the concept of bits typically doesn't exist for lossy formats), or 44.1 kHz/48 kHz.

uhajdafdfdfa

i woudl share OGGS but bandcamp prefers FLACS and FLACS are what i use personally for my music collection so that is nice for me

maybe FLACS is overkill for some thing like Chip Music.org though

With chipmusic if you have interpolation switched off you do need a pretty high kps to avoid a lot of compression artifacts, probably more so than with traditional music. (rather ironic) Personally when using mp3 I go for CBR and 320kps.   An alternative free codec is CELT, it's not well supported yet but offers pretty good playback at low ratios.

Sweden

44 kHz CBR 192 kbps LAME is usually good for me, but I can see why it might not cut it for a perfectionist in cases like the one 4mat describes. If you want transparency, especially for raw-rendered chipmusic, you'd better go lossless.

Spain

aac anyone?

Sweeeeeeden
ant1 wrote:

i woudl share OGGS but bandcamp prefers FLACS and FLACS are what i use personally for my music collection so that is nice for me

maybe FLACS is overkill for some thing like Chip Music.org though

Bandcamp prefers a lossless format because the user has the option to choose a compressed format to download. Transcoding from one lossy format to another potentially degrades the audio quality, so they prefer a lossless source to derive the lossy formats from.

uhajdafdfdfa

indeed!

nashville,tn
4mat wrote:

With chipmusic if you have interpolation switched off you do need a pretty high kps to avoid a lot of compression artifacts, probably more so than with traditional music. (rather ironic) Personally when using mp3 I go for CBR and 320kps.   An alternative free codec is CELT, it's not well supported yet but offers pretty good playback at low ratios.

ahh cool.....and werd. i know nothing of interpolation, dithering and such. yeah the nature of timbres in chip is a tricky beast.

The Bronx
boomlinde wrote:

44 kHz CBR 192 kbps LAME is usually good for me

Same here; with joint stereo just for the Hell of it.

Sweden

Joint stereo club!