So Im trying to get the film off from under the screen of this DMG. The top layer seems to come off fine, but the silver layer just keeps flaking away. I cant get enough up to pull it off without it just falling to pieces.

Im a bit confused, is there a layer under this layer that I should be removing as well? Or do I just have a problem? Its making a right mess of the screen too, it looks all smudgy sad.

nitro2k01: I made the title descriptive, as per rule 12.

Last edited by CartooN (Jun 8, 2012 8:03 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

Apply 1 part loose razor blade, 8 parts patience.
Also, mine tore in one place when I took it up... conveniently enough, its in that one part of the screen on the lower right where there isn't anything in LSDJ... point is, it actually looks kinda cool.

VA

My favorite way to do this is to soak a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and just shove it in the crack you already made. Just keep consistently pushing, it will start to go faster, and then it just pops off.

Mines REALLY gluey and smudgey over the screen though. Never had this problem before, always just come off in one and not left anything behind.

EDIT: Im just looking at it again, the screen is clear but green and still very smudgy.

Last edited by CartooN (Jun 8, 2012 4:46 pm)

Chicago IL

uh you guys?

the silver layer is stuck onto the layer you actually peel off.

Saskrotch wrote:

uh you guys?

the silver layer is stuck onto the layer you actually peel off.

Thankyou, this is what I thought. But I cant seem to get at that layer. sad

Chicago IL

i can see it in that picture you posted. stick a razor blade under it, peel it up a little, then grab a pair of pliers and slowly pull on it

KC

use a razor blade to begin the process and use a Q tip soaked in alcohol to help.

and also until you comfortable remember this: PATIENCE, go slowly

the screen should be clear with a tinge of green

Im having trouble seeing where the layer actually is. Im using a razor blade but Im worried Im chipping away at the side of the LCD rather than the layer itself.

EDIT:

So I've managed to get under the layer and its coming off. Very slowly, its split and frayed at the top and its prooving extremely difficult to remove, but it is coming. Just slowly ¬_¬.

EDIT EDIT:

Im having more trouble. Sorry guys T_T.

Now Ive got about 1/2 or 1/4 of the way through the film, it wont peel. It leaves a hell of a lot of glue behind when it peals and often breaks into bits when I pull it. I cant put the force I need into getting it off without doing damage to the rest of the dmg. What should I do? Im trying to pry it off with a razor but to no avail.

Last edited by CartooN (Jun 8, 2012 8:02 pm)

Bristol, UK

Next time you've got to make sure that the silver layer is attached to the hard clear layer as you peel it off.

There's no easy way to get the glue/silver stuff off once it becomes separated from the other layer. As the people above said; all you can do is spend ages with a razor, q tip and rubbing alcohol but there's a good chance you'll end up with some screen lines.

Best thing is to pick up some cheap grey boys/pockets to practice on.

Siiigghhh I know this is getting rediculous but.

Im about half way through getting this layer off. It still seems overly difficult. Its so hard to pull off and ive been trying with a blade for ages.

Im starting to think that there is maybe ANOTHER layer under this one that its split from. When I look through the clear part of the screen and turn it, it changes what I see through it to different colours. Is this normal? Or is there ANOTHER layer of film on the screen thats causing this?

Cleveland, OH

You're only taking off the reflective layer. You want to take the polarizer off too so that you have a nice and clean LCD.

KC

when you're have this much trouble

USE RUBBING ALCOHOL

when you use rubbing alcohol, you know that the alcohol is dissolving some of the adhesive so you will know that you taking off the right layer