vancouver, canada

Anybody run into this issue?  I prosounded my DMG (with Apeshit's latest V2 pro sound PCB mounts, amazing piece of tech btw), but after having done so, i can no longer turn on the DMG via the batteries - only via the AC power cord.

- the batteries had only been used for an hour
- i've tried this with all-new batteries too - also no luck
- i wired the PCB board to the pre-pot outputs, and nothing's being shorted as far as i can tell (i have heatshrinks in place to further isolate potential shorts just in case)
- battery contacts are quite clean, no significant rusting or anything like that
- the whole DMG otherwise works totally fine via the power cord, LSDJ boots properly and everything

any insight / documentation / schematics as to what might be blocking the power from the battery connectors?

I have had a "clean" contact break once after modding.

Last edited by Bit_Git (Jun 9, 2012 6:59 pm)

vancouver, canada

bump because i'm still stumped.  the battery contacts are about the cleanest i have on hand btw - no battery gunk or anything.

Sweeeeeeden

The DC power socket contains a little switch which turns bypasses the batteries when the plug is connected. If you shorted the DC plug to the batteries, the batteries would leak or explode. This switch is probably stuck or corroded internally. You could try to wiggle it a little to see if that helps. You could also bypass this switch entirely, but then you would have to make absolutely sure that you don't connect batteries and the DC jack at the same time, even when the Gameboy isn't turned on.

vancouver, canada
nitro2k01 wrote:

The DC power socket contains a little switch which turns bypasses the batteries when the plug is connected. If you shorted the DC plug to the batteries, the batteries would leak or explode. This switch is probably stuck or corroded internally. You could try to wiggle it a little to see if that helps. You could also bypass this switch entirely, but then you would have to make absolutely sure that you don't connect batteries and the DC jack at the same time, even when the Gameboy isn't turned on.

tl;dr: you might die in the face

thanks though, i'll see about playing around with the battery bypass when i get home.  any other theories in the meantime?

vancouver, canada

ok, so i finally figured out what was going on. 

turns out that one of screws i had unscrewed got magnetically attached to the front of the speaker element and remained caught in there when i placed the speaker back into the front cover.  when i removed the screw, the DMG sprang to life!

i guess the screw in the speaker shorted some part of the circuitry that takes power from the batteries.  herpy derp.

take notice kids, for future reference!