San Francisco

go over your exact recording process with us. we can trouble shoot to find the reason you are unhappy with your recordings more accurately.

New Albany Indiana

ok

New Albany Indiana

1, i get a bowl of ice cream in a cup with milk an whipcream
2, i get my recording cable and plugg it into my gameboy advance
3, i open Audacity
4, i hit record and shortly after i start up my tune
5, after im finished recording i listen to it, the voice kits sound really raspy and fuzzy and it doesnt get the left/right effect.

Robotcity, the year 20XX
Saskrotch wrote:

ableton. i use it for much more than recording, but if it's a game boy track i'm finished with, i record it into that, split up the instruments into different channels and go totally overboard with mastering, usually using izotope ozone.

if it's just a quick record for a demo, i use AudioHijack with izotope.

example : http://twitpic.com/8dafvo

I do the same, except I don't use izotope ozone. Gonna look into that right now.

The Silph Scope wrote:
$ arecord -d 180 -f cd -t wav supercoolchiptune.wav

super zen!!

vancouver, canada

audacity 4 lyfe

although i'm pretty impressed by reaper's work flow.   audacity is free and all but the interface and navigating around a project can be pretty clunky sometimes.

England
Bit wish wrote:

1, i get a bowl of ice cream in a cup with milk an whipcream
2, i get my recording cable and plugg it into my gameboy advance
3, i open Audacity
4, i hit record and shortly after i start up my tune
5, after im finished recording i listen to it, the voice kits sound really raspy and fuzzy and it doesnt get the left/right effect.

is the cable you are using stereo or mono?
are you using the mic input?
is audacity recording in mono?
is your laptop/computers sound card a peice of crap? (my shitty work laptop only has a mic in for example)

Portland

Steinberg Wavelab 6 for me

Bit wish wrote:

Probably a mono cable.
I'm basically restricted to writing in mono because of that for now.

Last edited by Dos (Jun 15, 2012 8:31 am)

Sweden

Most of my stuff never leaves the computer, because I usually just render it straight from the tracker and push the gain until I can hear the clipping in Audacity. For the stuff I actually record, I use a Zoom H2.

Czech Republic

Most (newer) laptop soundcards have only mic input (no link) behaving as both - mic and link input.
It is stereo in this cases.
But it depends on each soundcard...
I use this, I'm too lazy to use a proper external soundcard.

I'm using Cooledit BTW

Jellica wrote:

are you using the mic input?
is audacity recording in mono?
is your laptop/computers sound card a peice of crap? (my shitty work laptop only has a mic in for example)

IL, US

cool edit '96 is awesome

Rochester, NY

If I'm just gonna be recording solo chip, audacity through the 1/8" mic input is fine idgaf

Recording chip + band we have a tascam dp-008, which is pretty cool.

You can get the stereo sound by using an emulator

AANABAY01

well I export from either famitracker or virtuaNSF
but my recording program is #inpuj on irc.esper.net
they know how to touch up audio and i really really don't

Unsubscribe

Reaper rocks.

Centreville, VA

I was a Pro Tools + Reason guy for a long time. About a year ago, though, I ditched Pro Tools and wen to Reaper which is a very nice DAW. I've been using Reason for many years, though, and it's still my go to program for any type of electronic music.