Antwerp, Belgium

Hey guys,

Made this like 2 days ago, I'm actually really satisfied with this one but the opinions of my friends and family is divided, some people really like it, some people hate it. I'd like to get some criticism on this, see if it can be improved.

http://soundcloud.com/vegas-diamond/deathcap-kicks

The ending or second part of the song seems to be the most polarizing. Let me know! Thanks!
Vegas

Antwerp, Belgium

ALSO, I just finished reading the apple dragon fiasco above me and I realise that some of the things said there apply to me. I do not mean to be rude by asking for constructive criticism without being 'a part of the community'. I try to make tunes that are enjoyable (and release the ones that I enjoy). If you feel that me posting this is rude, let me know, I didn't really know there were rules for this.

THANKS

Cambridge UK

There are no rules, just cunts. Don't worry about it.

babylon

first just let me say im about this. for reals. the only thing  i noticed was that in the middle when your hihat sounds came in you cut off your noise snare which i wasnt digging. unless im wrong i think it could be fixed by giving it space to breath by taking out the hi hats that are right after. ( i hope that makes sense). but other than that i was down. even played it in my car real quick to get a feel for the bass. not bad.

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

The drums are too soft.

Cambridge UK

The beats are all broken, but not in a good way.

Antwerp, Belgium

Ok, thanks for the comments, I know what you mean about the snare being cut off too quickly but I can't help it since a hi-hat needs to come right after it and I only have one noise channel. I might be able to fix that by getting a second DMG to play the hats. The drums are also on maximum volume so the rest is probably too loud, I'll EQ them in some more I guess.

George, could you explain how you think the beats are broken, but in a bad way, like which part? obviously I was going for a broken feel, but I don't think I went too far or anything. Thanks again! Keep em coming

Cambridge UK

It doesn't sound intentional, therefore it feels uncomfortable.
You either stick to proper beats or break the shit out of them, but going half-way just sounds like you can't do better.

Gosford, Australia

just consitent rhythms, even. like, you can have variation and stuff but it helps to regularly resolve to a set pattern. and with this genre you're better off keeping it simple, imo.

Bristol, UK

Get rid of the hihat that comes straight after the snare, you may think you need it but you can probably get away with not having it.

Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks about the hi-hat tip! I'm actually really having trouble imagining in which parts you guys think the drums sound unintentionally off.

The drums are straight for most of the song, only in the second part of the song do they vary and become off-beat. The second snare is 1 beat 'late' and there's some extra snares, but always on a beat (1/4) or half-beat (1/8). Sorry if I misunderstood or anything.

Thanks again

NC in the US of America

I like that nasty junk at the end.

The main beat after the intro could use a bit of lead to go with that bass. Maybe some of that intro stuff. Or maybe some P-command L-command siren noises.

Are you using your wave channel at all? Why not use that for your hi-hats? Or even for your snare Edit: or Kick, or both, to free up your pulse channel to take over the bass, and allow your wave to do more stuff.

The second snare is 1 beat 'late' and there's some extra snares, but always on a beat (1/4) or half-beat (1/8)

I think that's probably the problem. It does sound a bit like a noob kid on a drumkit who can't figure out where the beat is.

I could get stoned for saying this, but try listening to Linkin Park's "Session" to get an idea of what everybody is probably thinking your broken beats should sound like.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 17, 2012 5:22 pm)

I really like it. I don't think the beat sounds broken in a bad way, actually. There was some cool/weird things you did with syncopation. Mad cool dude, sounds good!

buffalo, NY
Frostbyte wrote:

I really like it. I don't think the beat sounds broken in a bad way, actually. There was some cool/weird things you did with syncopation. Mad cool dude, sounds good!

This.  It reminds me of meshuggah and djent

Last edited by danimal cannon (Jun 17, 2012 5:42 pm)

I was thinking a little bit of radiohead-esque drums actually. Reminded me of Idioteque

North Dakota

kinda boring percussion wise imo,

try adding some rolls ti spice it up