Savannah, Georgia

trying out some new stuff, namely messing around with vibrato, swing and WAV column wubs, tell me how it sounds (other than the fact that i need to add an intro)
http://chipmusic.org/aeros/music/cygnus

Last edited by Aeros (Jun 17, 2012 10:39 pm)

You could add a heavier kick and cut the sidechaining at some point. What you have where it starts is a good enough intro. I'd say build it up with a rising pulse instrument, and then go to a no percussion little chordy part with no sidechaining, then drop a hard kick for a chorus and go from there.

Good programming though.

California

Yeah, the sidechaining is a little too aggressive for my tastes, especially since there's no kick underneath it to fill the space. Pretty good start otherwise.

Last edited by VCMG (Jun 17, 2012 11:12 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

What they said about the sidechaining and kick. But I really like the overall feel of this. I really like that opening arps melody. Great start. smile

Savannah, Georgia

yeah i already knew by the time i recorded it the sidechain was horrible, but i wasn't sure if it was just me or not. kick issue's probably the sidechain as well, i have go from M00 to M77 in 8 ticks because of constraint and the vol increases only in time for you to barely hear the end of the kick.

Medina, Ohio

This is boss smile

Knowing your kicks though, they're barely there anyway haha. Not a bad thing if that's your style, but overall I think your tracks would be 10000x times better with a strong percussion base.

Savannah, Georgia

i just really can't make a kick worth a damn, honestly. sad gotta go search for some heavy kicks once i get working again. it's the noise percussion that really gets me though.

Last edited by Aeros (Jun 18, 2012 1:10 am)

California

It's tedious and time-consuming, but you could go in and instead use individual E commands in each channel except the wave channel to get the sidechain effect and still have the kick.

Or you could use 2 DMGs or record the wave channel separate from the other ones.

Savannah, Georgia
VCMG wrote:

Or you could use 2 DMGs or record the wave channel separate from the other ones.

fuckin'...

Or you can just use a sidechaining instrument

Medina, Ohio

Hmm try this wav kick.

A triangle waveform set to manual I believe clipped a bit like a 90 volume and in the table do a PF0 then a PE4 and on 8 do a P02 and kill on the C.

If you want to get fancy, edit the first wave of the form to have 5 or six dots go to the bottom at the beggining and 5 or so dots go to the top after the drop in the triangle wave. Then add an F01 after the PE4.

This kick works well with a C-6 or C-7 Cooshinator showed me this method.

Last edited by dsv101 (Jun 18, 2012 1:16 am)

Savannah, Georgia
Frostbyte wrote:

Or you can just use a sidechaining instrument

that's actually what i'm doing. call me stupid, but i actually have a kick which doubles as a sidechain instrument.

Savannah, Georgia
dsv101 wrote:

Hmm try this wav kick.

A triangle waveform set to manual I believe clipped a bit like a 90 volume and in the table do a PF0 then a PE4 and on 8 do a P02 and kill on the C.

If you want to get fancy, edit the first wave of the form to have 5 or six dots go to the bottom at the beggining and 5 or so dots go to the top after the drop in the triangle wave. Then add an F01 after the PE4.

THis kick works well with a C-6 or C-7 Cooshinator showed me this method.

can't quite use WAV column, it's being absolutely ABUSED in the chorus parts and i can't really add much else

Medina, Ohio
Aeros wrote:
dsv101 wrote:

Hmm try this wav kick.

THis kick works well with a C-6 or C-7 Cooshinator showed me this method.

can't quite use WAV column, it's being absolutely ABUSED in the chorus parts and i can't really add much else

Well I hope that its good for future reference then wink lol. I suck at Pulse kicks, If i do them i usually have a simultaneous noise channel or wave kick to make them sound better smile

Trust me, you can use the wav column. You can trick the brain by making it think a note is there. And you have enough notes in there for nobody to notice one of them going away. You can add a note there the step after and nobody will be able to tell.

And yes I will call you stupid for using a sidechain/kick patch xD It defeats the purpose. Just make a silent sidechain instrument, and a regular kick. Sidechaining the entire song sounds a little silly.

Mind sending me the sav? I wanna take a look at what's going on here, maybe I can help you a bit.