NSW, Australia

Hi all, if you were following my last CC thread you would know that taken it all the great criticisms i was working on a more hardcore approach to a track well here it is smile tell me what you think

http://soundcloud.com/theskyisblacknotb … -of-angels

If you would like to support me and my future endeavors like my facebook page smile

http://www.facebook.com/TheSkyIsBlackNotBlue

Thank you only constructive feedback please enjoy smile

I'm quite happy with it, what do you think?

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 18, 2012 6:11 am)

NC in the US of America

Just make what you think sounds good, man. that's all I can say at this point. Take that however you like.

NSW, Australia
SketchMan3 wrote:

Just make what you think sounds good, man. that's all I can say at this point. Take that however you like.

I think that's how i'm going to go about it just release what i think sounds good smile

Granada, Spain

Like the others, work more with the vocal and all the song, the chiptune dont have anything, no melodies, no bass, just a kick, the same noise instrument and the same repetitive pulse lead, you must think that you dont have guitar, bass and drum, and you need to fill all your channels like if if your band its inside, and no random chipmelodies that everything can do with the eyes closed or drunk.
And again, if you want to shout, go for it, but learn how to do gutural singing if you want to do -core, inhaled and exhaled technics and the easy-to-learn pigsquealing, it gives more variety.

And also, i would take a time, learn basics of chipmusic and sing, and then just start to release songs, i mean, its normal to want CC for your songs, but if you are starting (like everybody) people just are going to dont look at your song, and they are going to click in a few parts of them to know what the hell did you do, so relax, learn, and then post it.

Granada, Spain

Like the others, work more with the vocal and all the song, the chiptune dont have anything, no melodies, no bass, just a kick, the same noise instrument and the same repetitive pulse lead, you must think that you dont have guitar, bass and drum, and you need to fill all your channels like if if your band its inside, and no random chipmelodies that everything can do with the eyes closed or drunk.
And again, if you want to shout, go for it, but learn how to do gutural singing if you want to do -core, inhaled and exhaled technics and the easy-to-learn pigsquealing, it gives more variety.

And also, i would take a time, learn basics of chipmusic and sing, and then just start to release songs, i mean, its normal to want CC for your songs, but if you are starting (like everybody) people just are going to dont look at your song, and they are going to click in a few parts of them to know what the hell did you do, so relax, learn, and then post it.

NSW, Australia
Skycstls wrote:

Sorry, i can't really understand what your saying.

Edit: i am starting to grasp the basics of growling and i might incorporate that in to my music

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 18, 2012 9:21 am)

What he said, was:
The PU Melody is just repatative. I can tell that you only used one Phrase for the whole song. Same for the other Channels:
The other Pulse is a simple Kick Drum like everybody can do in 20 seconds, also the Noise Channel is the same, one Instrument that goes on and on.
Wave Channel is also not that intresting and starts when the song is almost over.

You make the same mistake that every new Chipartist does (and i once did it also): You are using only 1 Instrument for each Channel. But why? Damm, Dude you can make dozen of different ones!
Also start using the freaking tables, there is so much you can do with them. Because of your not use of them, the song, the melody and all in fact just sounds so 08/15 Newbie like that it also gives a feel like you really didn't try.
Pls. check the Song Screen and tell me what Times is written there. I guess you made this in barley 2 hours.

Make Echoes in it, variate with the Instruments, put Tables in there, MAKE IT INTERESTING!
And if you don't can't handle the Wave Channel, use the Kits. Also wasting one of the PU Channels for a Kick Drum is (in my opinion) not very smart, i also did this in my first songs, but if they are not spiced up and interesting let them go, and use it for a second melody or assist the other Pulse Channel to create a full feeling, like there is so much going on, you know?

Just start to look at some of the Awesome Tutorials around the web and don't just stick with the basic shit, where they explain every single channel to you.

NSW, Australia
9-Heart wrote:

What he said, was:
The PU Melody is just repatative. I can tell that you only used one Phrase for the whole song. Same for the other Channels:
The other Pulse is a simple Kick Drum like everybody can do in 20 seconds, also the Noise Channel is the same, one Instrument that goes on and on.
Wave Channel is also not that intresting and starts when the song is almost over.

You make the same mistake that every new Chipartist does (and i once did it also): You are using only 1 Instrument for each Channel. But why? Damm, Dude you can make dozen of different ones!
Also start using the freaking tables, there is so much you can do with them. Because of your not use of them, the song, the melody and all in fact just sounds so 08/15 Newbie like that it also gives a feel like you really didn't try.
Pls. check the Song Screen and tell me what Times is written there. I guess you made this in barley 2 hours.

Make Echoes in it, variate with the Instruments, put Tables in there, MAKE IT INTERESTING!
And if you don't can't handle the Wave Channel, use the Kits. Also wasting one of the PU Channels for a Kick Drum is (in my opinion) not very smart, i also did this in my first songs, but if they are not spiced up and interesting let them go, and use it for a second melody or assist the other Pulse Channel to create a full feeling, like there is so much going on, you know?

Just start to look at some of the Awesome Tutorials around the web and don't just stick with the basic shit, where they explain every single channel to you.

Sorry to correct you but the kick drum is wav and all of the instruments are using tables, it took me 4 hours on LSDJ about 3 hours on vocals and mastering.... Sorry but most of your comments are kind of incorrect but i get the point.....sorry if it comes of as i'm being ignorant sad

NSW, Australia

Just a question 9-Heart since you have been giving me feedback since day 1, have i improved?

Nah, i can't be always correct.
But 4 hours? You can't be right, for a melody like this i need 2 minutes. And Table use is important but it's also about the little tricks in the Phrases and Chains.
Really just check RoboOctopus "LSDJ and You"-Series (search for it on the forum, use the function) and if you can master them check the Danimal Cannon Video on Youtube.: 45 Minutes of LSDJ Advanced Madness.

@EDIT:

Well, there isn't so much improvment to read out of this.
Just freaking don't blast out every song you make. That's Bullshit. If you at only one Moment and on Second have a feeling like "Well, could be a little bit better", "Something is not right there" or "Sounds stupid/repatative/boring/etc." = Earse it and start again, try different melodys instruments, settings.

Last edited by 9-Heart (Jun 18, 2012 11:30 am)

NSW, Australia
9-Heart wrote:

Nah, i can't be always correct.
But 4 hours? You can't be right, for a melody like this i need 2 minutes. And Table use is important but it's also about the little tricks in the Phrases and Chains.
Really just check RoboOctopus "LSDJ and You"-Series (search for it on the forum, use the function) and if you can master them check the Danimal Cannon Video on Youtube.: 45 Minutes of LSDJ Advanced Madness.

@EDIT:

Well, there isn't so much improvment to read out of this.
Just freaking don't blast out every song you make. That's Bullshit. If you at only one Moment and on Second have a feeling like "Well, could be a little bit better", "Something is not right there" or "Sounds stupid/repatative/boring/etc." = Earse it and start again, try different melodys instruments, settings.

I guess, i still think it's an okay song though....i think with every release i'm becoming better smile

Do you think the hardcore approach was better?

also how were the vocals?

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 18, 2012 11:43 am)

Dude, i kinda dig Hardcore, but it must be good.
And it wasn't so Hardcore. If i want to go with a Hardcore (thrashy) style to destroy and break shit i listen to KOOL Things or Birds dropping deuce. That's how i fck up my enviorment.

Of course, Sketch is right. If you're okay with woat you are doing, it's cool. But if you aks for CC and want to share your music with people, they also kinda have to like it.
And about the every release thing: It still dosn't mean you have to drop every song you made and ask for CC. Cause if you do this like 10 times, people will get tired. Also asking for CC many and countless times just gives the listener the feeling like you can't really improve at all.

And sorry if it sounds mean, it isn't meant that way.

And i also smoked some through out the day, that's another reason why i'm so straight forward.

Last edited by 9-Heart (Jun 18, 2012 11:53 am)

NSW, Australia
9-Heart wrote:

Dude, i kinda dig Hardcore, but it must be good.
And it wasn't so Hardcore. If i want to go with a Hardcore (thrashy) style to destroy and break shit i listen to KOOL Things or Birds dropping deuce. That's how i fck up my enviorment.

Of course, Sketch is right. If you're okay with woat you are doing, it's cool. But if you aks for CC and want to share your music with people, they also kinda have to like it.
And about the every release thing: It still dosn't mean you have to drop every song you made and ask for CC. Cause if you do this like 10 times, people will get tired. Also asking for CC many and countless times just gives the listener the feeling like you can't really improve at all.

And sorry if it sounds mean, it isn't meant that way.

And i also smoked some through out the day, that's another reason why i'm so straight forward.

I am definitely not going to release every song as a thread, this is the last song thread i'm doing for a while (Thank god for that)

NC in the US of America

By "doing" I hope you mean "releasing" and not "composing". Keep composing tunes, keep racking up experience, especially if you're doing it on a portable gameboy instead of an emulator. Of course, everybody needs a break. But if you get an idea and have your gameboy read, track it down, man.

Here's a fun interim project: Try transcribing your vocals into the gameboy (given your style, the wave or noise channel [lol] would probably be best for that, but who knows? You may be able to grapple some screams and screeches and growls out of the pulse channels. wink ). Do it without the intention of creating a releasable song, but just to experiment with sounds and analyze your vocals in a more "musical" context. Who knows, you may GET a releasable song out of it =P

I just noticed something. Your tracks are very heavy on the high treble frequencies. Try dropping in some bass to balance it out. It also seems like you don't do much polyphony (multiple melodies) with your tracks, which isn't really a great thing. At least use power chords. Seems like you tend to stick to one melodic instrument at a time, (echoes don't count as multiple instruments). I still like the contrast between the boops and the screams, but it needs more in the way of melodic and harmonic content. Even a Round of "Row Row Row Your Boat" style echoes (you know what I'm talking about, right?) would work.

Also... each new post certainly does bring a more fleshed out feeling, but they're all starting to sound the same. Especially the screaming. I keep hearing the same "stay away from meee" rhythm (I know one of them was a remix, but still...). And, as opposed to heeding the advice of people saying to get more "guttural" and "deep", it seems like your screams are becoming more and more harsh, lol. But, hey. At least it's true to form: a kid angsting his heart out about stuff that he doesn't like. lol

Wow... I didn't expect to come back and post all that. My hands were washed. Now they have been soiled again.

You're gonna be great if you keep working and working, man. Keep it up. I like 1/2 of the screams, if it didn't have the really high piched squeeling/shrieking it would sound great. Keep working.

New Albany Indiana

i think the screaming is a bit much