Philadelphia

http://soundcloud.com/chrisdepew/someon … of-the-ice

Here's my second LSDJ song. Tried some different things and I'm still having a bit of trouble finding the right snare sound. I've been messing around with a bunch of S commands on a table through the noise channel but I can't seem to get it right.

Anyway, I would love some criticism so I can improve. Thanks errybody!

Last edited by SubWooferSpecial (Jun 19, 2012 8:52 pm)

babylon

along time ago i read a thread were someone explained making snares with two channels using something like a c5-6 on your pu with a vibrato between  f9-fd and killing it short, and then adding your favorite noise snare on top of it (it was probably explained better). i do it religiously but programing around it in one of your channels is the downside. but honestly on noise snares i start somewhere on a shape like f9 or fa and start fiddling with sweeps in the table untill i hear something i like. cant say thats the right way to do it though.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I actually like your snare. It fits better when the mix is full. I'd maybe take it one shape down though, but that's probably because I like dark snares. wink As for the song, you're getting really good. I like the variations with this. I didn't get bored or phase out or anything. Cool breakdowns. Nice instrumentation. The kick could be beefier imo, tho. I also think, to switch it up, it'd be cool to have a melody with longer notes. But, again, that's just me. smile

NSW, Australia

I think the snare is pretty rad, keep it up smile

Oh, and I know this is easier for me with my 2 gameboys, but I beef up my snares with a snare from kits in the wav channel.

Philadelphia

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to go back in and try that with the snares Walter. And yeah the kick is a little crunchy (I wanted to see the difference between putting a kick in the wav and pulse channels). I'll go back into the synth screen and see if I can give it some more oomf.

Philadelphia

Fixed up the snare a bit and the kick as well. Hopefully it sounds a bit better.

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Very good at 2:20

New York

i'd use a sine kick, with start volume around 50 or 60, that usually works for me. the snare is great, i really like it and as Auxcide said, you did a good job with the variations in the piece. Can't wait to hear the next version of this!

Philadelphia

Found a good sounding snare after messing around for too many hours. If anyone wants to know, I went into the table and did this:

TSP---CMD---CMD
EF  | O-L   | E-F5
00   | O-R   | S-40
00   | O-L   | S-E7
00   | O-LR | - 00
00   | - 00   | S-E5
00   | - 00   | S-07
00   | - 00   | S-35
00   | K 00  | K 00

And for the instrument:
Envelope - A1
Output - LR
Length - Unlimited
Shape - CE
S CMD - Free

Last edited by SubWooferSpecial (Jun 26, 2012 2:38 am)

babylon

looks intense. im gonna check it out when im at home. we need an lsdj snare thread. really snares and bass are all i care about anymore.

Philadelphia

Works best at C5 or C4 btw. And I may start that snare thread.

NC in the US of America

I like the SML2 "Space Zone level 2" vibe you have going. Very cool.

an LSDJ percussion thread would be awesome. I think there is one already, but it died out

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4526/ … ck-thread/

I'm sure the title could be altered to include other percussion sounds.

That was a good thread (not that I was around then). I forgot about the "groove to increase space".

I had a snare I was proud of the other day, gotta find it. Also I did a nice crash sound recently. Mebbee if there was someplace to post it, besides muddying up your CC thread. (Although it's good publicity) tongue