NC in the US of America

So, while I'm waiting for funds to come in for a DMG and an EMS cart, I've been trying to get the best sound I can from my emulator setup. The best I've done so far is to switch VBA-M from GBA to GB mode. It seems to have helped, as my ears aren't throwing up nearly as much as they were before. (I have BGB on a WinXP machine, but that pc incredibly slow, and I rarely use it, nor do I want to)

So, long story shortened, The "Sound" option in the KiGB options menu is greyed out, and apparently I need to install Allegro. Only problem is, the version of allegro mentioned in the readme is incredibly old (4.0.2), and I'm just at a loss as to which version of allegro to install. Just need a little guidance because Ubuntu is so delicate i don't want to risk breaking it for the rong package.

I'm wondering if there is anybody else who uses KiGB in Lucid with functional sound, and, if so, what version of Allegro do you have?

I tried running KiGB in Wine, but there were errors. Tried BGB in Wine; It ran, but everything was very chopppy (especially the sound = useless).

The KiGB homepage is no help. They don't even mention the fact that you need libstdc++.so.5 to even get the thing to run ANYWHERE in their documentation or website. I had to run some "ldd" command or something to find out what why it wouldn't even execute. And ubuntuforums.org likes to ignore my questions for some reason, and KiGB doesn't even have a forums, and no contact info listed on their homepage.

Sad.

Anyway, please help.

Sweeeeeeden

Yo KiGB, I'm happy for you and Imma let you finish, but BGB one of the best emulators of all time! Or in other words, sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I would like you to try a couple of things to see if you can get BGB working.

First of all, make sure you are using the latest version of BGB, which is 1.4.

Right click and go into options, misc tab, show framerate. (top right option.)

Load your ROM and take note of the two numbers under normal use. Right click and choose other, system info. Click ok to copy the info to clipboard and paste it here.

In options, under the gaphics tab, try these options:
Output: GDI, everything else unchanged.
Output: Auto, VSync: disabled.

In the sound tab, try changing auto to directsound or waveout. Try dragging the latency slider to the left, which increases the buffer size.

Between every step, resume emulation and see if if things are smoother.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Jun 20, 2012 10:51 pm)

NC in the US of America
graphics output: Direct3D
vsync mode: No
vsync failure reason: framerate does not match
fullscreen mode: No
bpp: 32

sound output: DirectSound

Edit: The numbers are 10/40 and 9/36

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 20, 2012 11:12 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Did you try any of the other things?

Sweeeeeeden

Also what are the specs for the computer you're using?

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:

Did you try any of the other things?

Sorry, had to go somewhere. Gonna try them now.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Also what are the specs for the computer you're using?

I've got some pretty horrible hardware. It's an HP Pavilion a735w (From Wal-Mart, >_>),
Two 512mb sticks of RAM = almost 1 gig of memory.
Everything is onboard, graphics, audio, etc etc.
Video memory... I'm not sure about that. Can't be very high. And no updated drivers for Linux, so can't run games like supertuxkart or assaultcube (though Open Arena works for some reason)
Processor AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Yeah, it's pretty bad, though it's also relatively good. At least it runs at a good speed with things that are designed for the currently installed OS. Designed for Windows XP. A special wal-mart christmas bundle or something.

EDIT: THIAKNK YU. Output: GDI did it.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 21, 2012 2:09 am)

Sweeeeeeden

Could you also try output DirectDraw with VBlank auto and 1) tell me if it runs ok 2) give me the system info output?

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:

Could you also try output DirectDraw with VBlank auto and 1) tell me if it runs ok 2) give me the system info output?

It runs Ok. Nothing sounds garbled, but the framerate numbers are about the same as when it was choppy.

graphics output: DirectDraw
vsync mode: No
vsync failure reason: framerate does not match
fullscreen mode: No
bpp: 32

sound output: DirectSound
Sweeeeeeden

So, framerate is ok (should ideally be 60/60) when you run GDI mode?

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:

So, framerate is ok (should ideally be 60/60) when you run GDI mode?

Yeah... pretty much. It kind of vacillates between 59/59 and 60/60. And, of course, when I minimize/maximize or do something else system taxing, it goes wonky, but usually stays in the 40-60 range.

I have to say... this is pretty awesome to have the BEST on Linux, and not have to settle for KiGB (though their website claims to have the most accurate emulator of all, lol)

install wine -> use bgb

install ubuntu 12.04 while you're at it

NC in the US of America
PlainFlavored wrote:

install wine -> use bgb

install ubuntu 12.04 while you're at it

read -> save your finger-breath

If you don't have anything helpful to say, especially this late in the topic, please keep it to yourself. Thanks. See above convo for reference.

12.04 did bad things with my computer. I'll hold off on upgrading until Lucid is no longer supported. So far, the best distro for my system has been 10.10 (ran it off a live usb for a year til the usb died), but I went for 10.04 for my harddrive install since 10.10 is EOL.

But... now that you mention it... I'd still like to get KiGB working, just for completion's sake. I don't want this thing to beat me.

Forget about whether you have lucid or not. Just let me know if and how KiGB works for you if you have ANY ubuntu or other linux distro.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 21, 2012 3:47 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

17:04:44 ~/kigb > ./kigb
bash: ./kigb: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

LINUX

Riverside, CA

Mednafen is really great and is what I use in Linux, it's in the repos so it'll be a lot easier to install.
But if you're dead set on kigb then try

sudo apt-get install liballegro4.2
NC in the US of America

Oh yeah. I forgot about Mednafen. I haven't heard anything about it's audio accuracy, so I didn't even consider it. All I keep hearing about is BGB and KiGB.

Will try that apt-get, though.

Edit: Did not change the greyed out Sound option.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 22, 2012 4:53 am)

Riverside, CA

I was going to suggest compiling it from source but it seems to be closed source sad
Did you try posting on the Ubuntu forums?

Hmm which sound architecture are you using? ALSA/Pulse/OSS/etc?