Unsubscribe

What does hipsters even mean in this case? Professional working musicians?

NC in the US of America
Zef wrote:

These things always make me rethink the internet. I simply don't get it. They're at freaking $2,024 already!! Who is buying these things!? Why don't they come and give us money instead!?

If you overprice something, people will think it's worth it.

rochester, ny
NeX wrote:

with china undercutting labor costs, people assume that labor is free, they calculate the cost of parts it takes to make something and disregard the R and D costs, and assembly costs, and the intellectual value of the original idea.

"R and D"

"intellectual value of the original idea"

isn't this just an arduinoboy though? what costs are there when the code and schematics are online for free?

i don't ask this confrontationally. i'm genuinely curious and i don't mean any disrespect by that. i'm actually a big admirer of yours and think all your mods are pretty incredible.

UK
Monotron wrote:

It's a neat idea, but it would be a complete rip off of other's designs. Profiting off of another person's design is not cool at all, and probably illegal. That being said I really do enjoy the idea of a sleek arduino boy though, as it would be great for the less tech savvy or the lazy with a lot of money in their pockets. Now if they did get the consent and ownership rights to the original design, then it would be a different story. It seems like it would be fantastic for live sets.

well, arduinoboy is gplv2 licensed. so, it wouldn't be illegal to re-distribute the code (on a device or to read elsewhere). i don't know about the actual circuit design themselves, though.

uhajdafdfdfa
herr_prof wrote:

$50 extra for the code

firebrandboy wrote:

gplv2 licensed

:\ hmm

UK
akira^8GB wrote:

Where to begin...

also, this.

This somehow makes me feel owing Trash80 a lot... though not everyone is equally generous:)

shanghai
herr_prof wrote:

What does hipsters even mean in this case? Professional working musicians?

no. I doubt a professional working musician would buy one. Its not hard to replicate these sounds with other hardware, and it doesn't even seem like it does anything to make workflow any better than just buying a simple arduinoboy.

by hipster i mean hipster. you know, scene kids. jeans that look like leggings. coloured trainers. gameboy t shirt. stupid hair. made one tune in their life. buy this sort of stuff to be coolio yo.

you know like the rich kid at school. the dick that buys technics when you cant afford them. and poses as a DJ but never learns to mix. gets bored and never uses them after 1 month.  There are alot of these douche bags around. look at for them, you can maybe spot them at american apparel, getting refreshments at starbucks, taking new age retro photo's for da instagram, or simply masturbating over the apple store front window.

Gosford, Australia
Downstate wrote:

jeans that look like leggings. coloured trainers. gameboy t shirt. stupid hair.

oh god i'm a hipster sad

Abandoned on Fire
Victory Road wrote:
Downstate wrote:

jeans that look like leggings. coloured trainers. gameboy t shirt. stupid hair.

oh god i'm a hipster sad

Whew!  Good to know im still just an old fashioned fat dork.

Milwaukee, WI
Downstate wrote:

or simply masturbating

oh god I'm a hipster sad

Milwaukee, WI
TSC wrote:
Downstate wrote:

or simply masturbating

oh god I'm a hipster sad

I died. big_smile

canada
Downstate wrote:

jeans that look like leggings.

leave my jeggings out of this:

Chicago IL
NeX wrote:

but i don't see many people actually starting new things, in fact i think there are less people starting new projects because they are afraid of what people will say.

but also no one seems to be passionate enough  to put their own money behind projects anymore, because they're afraid people won't support them. i think kick starter is kind of a gift/curse thing.

Unsubscribe

There are tons of successful hardware projects all the time on kickstarter and the DIY community. If you cannot handle receiving criticism of your hardware project or it lacks the careful design considerations that allow it to stand up to the glaring light of end user scrutiny, then you are probably in the wrong business.

The hipster definitions in this thread are probably three years old. I dont think anyone who wants to buy this product is stupid or dresses stupid, I just think it needs a little baking and messaging to get me more interesting in it.

Chicago IL

my descriptions of hipsters: irony as a way of life