England

my lsdj seems to have a problem staying in beat especially at higher tempos but it's noticable here;

http://chipmusic.org/earthwormjim/music … riff-thing

Is this a sign that my cart is on the way out?

(Oh, and I know there's a hiss in the recording, my sound card is on IT's way out)

thanks, EWJ

That's weird. I mean, DMGs get confused wen you have a lot of stuff going on, and it skips noise channel notes when they have crazy tables, but your song didn't sound THAT complex... Maye try new DMG batteries?

Savannah, Georgia

i don't think it's your cart, it's more than likely your gameboy simply not having the raw processing power needed to play the song, so it just falls behind. best guess = get a GBC or GBA if you haven't already

Gosford, Australia

could try optimising your tables - e.g. get rid of transposes in your noise tables and replace them with S commands
i think some gameboys are just worse at staying in time than others though

DMG's can't handle everything; one of my latest songs won't even run on anything below a color; Try it on a GBA or GBC and see if it works better; it's very likely not your cartridge though. Tempos in excess of 200 BPM tend to be tougher on DMG's; you could alternatively run it at half the tempo and change the global groove to 3 tick steps to get the equivalent (which should run better, might have to redo a couple tables though).

Last edited by Zef (Jun 27, 2012 10:43 pm)

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

sux brah

England
Frostbyte wrote:

Maye try new DMG batteries?

I tried batteries first. I think it's cause my carts pretty full perhaps, I've got another cart and it seems to work fine. I've pinpointed it specifically to vibrato commands especially in tables, it really doesn't enjoy those

England
Aeros wrote:

get a GBC or GBA if you haven't already

I have, I just prefer the sound from my DMGs, I guess it may be my fault for being so picky.

This has nothing to do with your cart. A DMG may work better than another, due to CPU revisions

England
12ianma wrote:

This has nothing to do with your cart. A DMG may work better than another, due to CPU revisions

I have four, all of them do it only on one cart, they never ever experienced anything like this up till now

What about the same data on another cart?

England
12ianma wrote:

What about the same data on another cart?

I haven't tried it, don't have a flashing device and to manually copy all of that data would be a chore.

New York City

This has nothing to do with the cartridge. This is your Game Boy choking on LSDJ. Use a Color, GBA or overclock your DMG, alternatively stop doing what you are doing to choke it (tables, V commands, succession of P commands, etc).