Decktonic wrote:

digging deeper into actual genres, house and techno started out simultaneously with 2 very different directions, house being heavily influenced by disco and motown via samples, and techno being heavily influenced by early computer synthesis... but to be honest, early techno and house still had a lot in common, and it wasn't long before the two influenced each other.

Techno was a House offshoot. In fact it was literally just called House from Detroit up until around 89 when the first CD compilation was released, and they decided to just call it Techno.

When it comes to pure rhythm and sound design I love Techno. I stopped keeping up with it though after the minimalist trend gobbled up everything. Pretty much every big act I cared about jumped on the bandwagon.

My personal feeling on this recentely has been about house. I'm too young to have experienced all the real house music fully and I only recentely discovered it again and I feel like new 'pop house' has just shat on it all. I hate it sad

Westfield, NJ
geckoyamori wrote:

When it comes to pure rhythm and sound design I love Techno. I stopped keeping up with it though after the minimalist trend gobbled up everything. Pretty much every big act I cared about jumped on the bandwagon.

what do you think of new artists like Gesaffelstein?

uhajdafdfdfa

i hate dancing and i generally hate music which is designed for dancing too

some music seems to be designed for both listening and dancing and i can get into some of that

pretty much not an EDM fan at all though

vancouver, canada

it's not dance music unless it's this

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
spacetownsavior wrote:
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

I like dance music, but it's not a genre that really connects with me, I find a bit too one sided in its approach (it is fulfilling a specific need after all) , and when it does connect it's usually a cheap thrill that dries up quickly.

What do you think is "one sided" about the approach? I'm genuinely interested, because I think that a lot of modern EDM these days is "one-sided," as you say -- however, I think it's hard to justify an entire form as one-sided, mostly because in order to do that you have to 1. Define where dance music is trying to get and then 2. Define the approach to that aesthetic space as "one-sided." It's true that mainstream EDM lacks complexity most of the time, but I think that has to do with the "popification" of dance music (or the "dancification" of pop music) more than the form itself.

Because dance music by definition is music made to make you dance, thereby limiting its potential. For instance, for a more striking example, the difference between, say, Deicide and Opeth, one goes for a straight genre-definition affair, the other doesn't attempt to limit themselves. That's probably a bad, and definitely an irrelevant to this topic, example,  but I hope you catch my jist.
As I said, there are always exceptions, I just think when someone creates something that goes towards a specific audience on preferred method of consumption (whether purposefully or otherwise), they are creatively tying one hand behind their back. That is what I think causes my perception of dance music, in general, being one-sided.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2021 7:56 pm)

.FILTHadelphia
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

Because dance music by definition is music made to make you dance, thereby limiting its potential. For instance, for a more striking example, the difference between, say, Deicide and Opeth, one goes for a straight genre-definition affair, the other doesn't attempt to limit themselves. That's probably a bad, and definitely an irrelevant to this topic, example,  but I hope you catch my jist.
As I said, there are always exceptions, I just think when someone creates something that goes towards a specific audience on preferred method of consumption (whether purposefully or otherwise), they are creatively tying one hand behind their back. That is what I think causes my perception of dance music, in general, being one-sided.

Eh... Sure dance music is made to make you dance but it also builds and releases energy, conveys emotion, carries a message, and builds atmosphere. Lots of genres do this but not all genres make you want to dance. EDM's potential is only limited to the person creating it which you've described in your Deicide/Opeth example. All music is subjective or created for a specific audience no one musician is liked the world over. For instance I think Deicide kills it while Opeth blows pretentious butthole.

bryface wrote:

it's not dance music unless it's this

Oh yeah, here's the real heavy shit I was talking about

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

cool

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
defiantsystems wrote:
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

Eh... Sure dance music is made to make you dance but it also builds and releases energy, conveys emotion, carries a message, and builds atmosphere. Lots of genres do this but not all genres make you want to dance. EDM's potential is only limited to the person creating it which you've described in your Deicide/Opeth example. All music is subjective or created for a specific audience no one musician is liked the world over. For instance I think Deicide kills it while Opeth blows pretentious butthole.

When did I say dance music DIDN'T do all those things? I just said it is more potentially limiting, and limited in reality, than other forms of music. So is Dubstep/Trance/DeathMetal/Folk etc etc, my point with Opeth was just a group who don't give a shit what they sound like and just write with out any preconceptions of what they are or what they should sound like, you can swap their name with any hundreds of chip/metal/indie/pop or hippity hop acts, it's all the same point. I'm not say ALL dance music is limited, though if we are getting into a genre debate, when it gets to a point its not limiting itself it'd be difficult to class as dance.   And I know music is subjective, I was being subjective as it was my opinion

I listen to dance music but have never been to a party or any dancing event. I listen to EDM because I like the sounds they make, and in some cases, it can be really emotional. Zedd's Spectrum is one of the most emotionally-moving electronic songs I've ever heard, mainly because it came out during a really stressful time for me, but also because it's so musically powerful at points.

This one will totally get haters on my case, but Skrillex's Scary Monsters EP is also pretty emotional to me as well. That one isn't like a "oh look how beautiful and amazing this makes me feel", but more of a "FUCK YEAH SUMMER!" thing because of the times I've spent in the car with my friends, speeding down the road to IHOP blasting it. I have such fond memories listening to this stuff with friends and really just enjoying it for the sounds it makes.

Dunno if that means anything to you guys

AANABAY01

you can attach nostalgia to absolutely any piece of shit

yesterday i was watching The Raccoons on youtube

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

you can attach nostalgia to absolutely any piece of shit

yesterday i was watching The Raccoons on youtube

I just found out cyril sneer was an aardvark millionaire. (lsdj/run with us/aadvark millionaire/4xDMG)

Last edited by 4mat (Jun 27, 2012 11:52 pm)

N.E. U.S.

@Frostbyte: I think Skrillex's albums have got exceedingly worse. The first two are fine in my book, although I haven't listened to them in a while.
@4mat: Yeah! Acid!