San Diego, CA

Or more specifically, the genres of electronic dance music that seem to be really polarizing one way or another. I know that some people on cm.o are pretty directly inspired by "mainstream"-ish dance music like electro house, dubstep, trance, etc., but I've also heard quite a bit of disdain from others on what the influence of EDM has done to chipmusic so I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts on it. Likes/dislikes + justifications, etc. I feel like it's time for one big thread where everyone can stake their claim to what they think of dance music smile

(This might end up being a free for all)

Personally, my music is really trance-influenced, mostly because I feel like trance was the sub-genre I listened to the most/affected me the most growing up. It seems like it can get the most complex melodically (which I like), whereas other genres are more focused on the uniqueness of the sound design (read: loud-ass oscillators). It also serves my composing style really well, because I don't actually need to structure a song -- I can just throw a bunch of loops together and if they sound good I'm going ahead with it smile

I guess what I'm aiming for is a long-form listening experience that requires a prolonged period of time to really appreciate -- I'm really against the trend of fast buildups and fast breakdowns with anthemic choruses because the crests of the songs never really satisfy me in the way I want them to. I think Swedish House Mafia is especially guilty of this, considering they've pretty much defined what electro sounds like for the near future, where they kind of half-ass a buildup and then the chorus itself is a little lackluster because it's a single melodic line without even a hint of complexity. Even the formats of releases these days don't really float my boat. I'm an album guy, but most releases are either singles or EPs, which kind of fits the tone for pop music, but not for the experience I want sad

I've also yet to find a modern EDM artist who can put out an LP that will both keep me listening the whole time while simultaneously providing a compelling aesthetic experience -- most EDM these days honestly doesn't "say" anything. The last time a single artist put out a really long, listenable record that was distinctly THEM was Orbital, and that was like 10 years ago, so that's what my albums are trying to do (unsuccessfully, but still).

So yeah -- there's what I think so far!

Finland

Who started originally describing things as EDM?

Rochester, NY

~oh man I love EDM you're talking about skrillex right?~

~lots of chipmusic is copying skrillex~

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 6:51 am)

São Paulo, Brazil

Yeah, the first time I read this "EDM" term was from a Skrillex interview.

I'm going to answer with the I like music that sounds good approach. < This is of foremost importance to me, it doesn't matter if the melody is complex or if the instruments are whatever. It's all about how the song actually sounds. I do enjoy learning about sounds and usually will be interested when I hear something -new- in the [____scene____], but that would be second after deciding whether I actually like the song or not. I think it is important to never write off a certain genre, you know, people that say "DUBSTPE SUX!!!!!!". It's just narrow. There is a lot to explore.

Forest Maze
Je Mappelle wrote:

it doesn't matter if the melody is complex or if the instruments are whatever. Usually will be interested when I hear something -new- in the [____scene____], but that would be second after deciding whether I actually like the song or not. I think it is important to never write off a certain genre, you know, people that say "DUBSTPE SUX!!!!!!". It's just narrow. There is a lot to explore.

diss

Westfield, NJ

EDM as a term was around long before Skrillex. I can't pinpoint when it was invented but I can promise that much.

I'll be honest, I'm a dance music fanatic and when I picked up the DS10, it was with the intention of making dance music, not chiptunes. Daft Punk got me into it back when those clips from Interstella 5555 were on Cartoon Network. I like listening to chiptunes and like SKGB said on another thread a while back, I can get down to just about anything, but in my own work I'm solely interested in exploring dance genres and I don't apologize for that.

(trance) seems like it can get the most complex melodically (which I like), whereas other genres are more focused on the uniqueness of the sound design

it's funny that you say this, because I've always been obsessed with sound design. when I started making music it was all I cared about, and I didn't put too much effort into actual composition. I have to admit that listening to lots of complex chiptunes from many of the people that grace this forum inspired me to explore composition and learn as much as I can about music theory. and I definitely see what you mean regarding what is mainstream right now... a song like "Levels" is really just a single melody, a few buildups and breakdowns, a drum loop... and that's it. not that I won't try to make songs like that... just that I can appreciate songs that are more complex.

Used to be very much into dance music throughout the 90's and the 00's. Interest in new stuff and trends waned since around 04 however, and today I feel very disconnected from what's going on. The most interesting type for me to work with right now is ironically Dubstep. Most of what's released is just dismissable trite, but that has been true of any genre that gets a few years of prominence. Once the fad wears off, the genre is declared "dead" and returns to the underground, I think we'll see some interesting things happen with it again.

For 4-on-the-flooor stuff I stick mostly with proper Deep House for its jazzy harmonics and Goatrance for more melodic stuff. Goa tends to be very formulaic though and I can only enjoy it in small doses at a time.

England

im confused by edm as well as i thought that most dm was e. i guess that old disco is dm that isnt very e.

but anyway i like dm.

anything from old italo to house to techno to electro to acid house to blah.

i also like em that isnt very d.

but i dont listen to much modern music.

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm)

England

is acoustic dance music a thing? tongue

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Jellica wrote:

Yes.
Edit: at least to me.

[This isn't meant to be confrontational]
I don't label shit, I just like whatever sounds good. I can't even label my music.

Last edited by Auxcide (Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm)

California
Jellica wrote:

Yep. The only things that are electronic are the Moog and the sampler that's connected to that Roland pad.

Last edited by VCMG (Jun 27, 2012 7:32 pm)

Turku, FIN

Acoustic Braindance.

EDM sounds pretty stupid but i think it describes electronic dance music much better than just electro, house or techno. Those three have many times been used to describe electronic music that has nothing to do with those genres.

England

barn dance music

NC in the US of America
Jellica wrote:

barn dance music

Big Band Swing
Polka
Jig
Tango
Rumba
All that other Latin dance music
Waltz
Motown
The stuff kids dance to at proms with live bands

There's a big world of dance music out there outside of techno and trance and what-have-you.