Tokyo, Japan

Don't know what anyone else thinks but I feel the Signal to Noise ratio is drifting a bit far towards "noise" for my liking. There seem to be quite a few borderline trolly threads, lets make a list of stuff, type threads and just completely off topic threads. As a result, I have found my interest in the forum wane slightly over the last few months.

A couple things I would like to see which might help solve or at least ameliorate the problem without getting draconian about it.

- Make a "less focused general discussion" forum or something which (optionally) doesnt show up in "recent posts". This has the advantage of maintaining the focus of the site and keeping the grumpy old bastards like me interested while allowing people who want a more relaxed area for conversation which isn't chipmusic specific can do so.

- New rule, as suggested by George in the thread which got out of hand. No "release coming soon" threads, obviously, if you have a release which you need crit / collaborators on post in the relevant forum, if you have a release, post it in release,

- Close threads which pose questions answered in the FAQ, I can go through and find specific examples of this if you like.

I adore this community, it has been my favorite place on the internet for ages and I would love for it to remain so. A very slightly firmer hand from the mods (who I think have pretty damn fine judgement) could to wonders for the forums long term focus.

Gosford, Australia

i wanna make a joke about actual signal:noise ratios but that'd be pretty lame

the main thing that has bugged me is the huge influx of cc and release hype threads. hyping your release isn't a bad thing but it's annoying when there's just a vague date and no songs or even artwork. and with cc threads i think they need to be specific with what aspects of a track they're asking for feedback on, not just a link and "what do you think" and ALSO give us a streaming link be it hosted here or soundcloud or wherever, just let me click play please i am a self-entitled internet git and i need instant gratification 24/7

i don't really think there should be "rules" about this though... or maybe there should? having said all that, my interest in cm.o has actually never been greater :v

Tokyo, Japan
Victory Road wrote:

i don't really think there should be "rules" about this though... or maybe there should?

How would you suggest dealing with the problem without rules? Also, I have a great deal of faith in our mods, they are smart folk, they arent going to be assholes about it.

I think that if there were at least like a release hyper thread format that needed to e followed, that's be okay. Like, you need at least one 3 minute preview, and some information about the album/artist. Same for cc threads, like, what are you looking for, streaming link, song background, and equipment at use.

Thoughts?

Abandoned on Fire

CC threafs annoy the piss out of me.  I support banning them.

Tokyo, Japan

Actually, just another thought, would it be possible to "subscribe" or something to various subforums to be displayed in "recent posts"? Then people who don't want to see CC threads or off topic stuff just dont have to even know it is there?

Massachusetts, USA

I just had a thought, and it is probably ridiculous.

When signing up for this forum, don't give members posting privileges until they pass a test containing the most common "noob" questions, with links to the relevant FAQ-threads, thus requiring prospective members to learn how to do their own research. In the process, they discover that many questions they have are already answered, they are educated and prepared on where to access this knowledge, and quickly become valuable, contributing community members. People who cheat are permabanned/blacklisted/kicked off internet.

This doesn't really do anything to combat the "release coming soon" threads... but some questions could directly address forum etiquette, which could thwart any misdirected attention-seekers and make violations of etiquette even more frowned upon! Before this become any more of a rant/pipe dream, I'll stop myself. Just a thought!

Brunswick, GA USA

Subscribing to boards with a checkbox screen, defaulting to having all turned on sounds like a great idea.

I ignore CC threads because they make no sense to me; if you want CC, you can post your song and ask for help in its comments. Remember the first 100 songs rule before you post.

Gosford, Australia
Lazerbeat wrote:

How would you suggest dealing with the problem without rules? Also, I have a great deal of faith in our mods, they are smart folk, they arent going to be assholes about it.

i meant more that my particular view was perhaps too strict to be made into a bunch of rules. more rules isn't always conducive to more fun and one person (myself in this case) might like there to be a bunch of rules that others would hate.

Maybe there should just be a blanket "no crappy threads" rule - the mods DO have good judgement, like you say! Still, I think people can lead by example from right now onwards by not posting in crappy threads.

Actually, just another thought, would it be possible to "subscribe" or something to various subforums to be displayed in "recent posts"? Then people who don't want to see CC threads or off topic stuff just dont have to even know it is there?

i support this!

I love the noob test idea, that would be a fantastic little barrier to the horrible noob-mess!

Tokyo, Japan

I suggested the idea of a new member forum where people had to prove they weren't fuckwits before getting access to the rest of the board but it wasnt very popular.

Gosford, Australia

yeah i don't like the idea of noob tests
it's very patronising and condescending to the many people who aren't naturally stupid

Why not have a validation forum with a few subforums where we can interact with the newcomers (they can lurk on ours), and after a few good posts they can be indoctrinated for full membership? The trial period should last less than a week for someone who posts daily.

IL, US

well guess i coud be more active, but i have a major diablo III habit going on...

Abandoned on Fire

I don't see how any suggestions that involve every post being scrutinized could possibly work.
Rules need to be "all or nothing" and only require a lot of involvement from the mods when there's a complaint/concern.

Indiana

You guys, having some sort of "test" or "initiation" is a really good way to stagnate a forum, plus it's kind of unfriendly hmm

If you wanted to start a club full of people you like, then start a club. It's really difficult and presumptive to decide who's ideas are useful and who's are not.

That being said, I think the idea for a user subscription based recent post feed has a lot of potential.

Last edited by Fudgers (Jun 28, 2012 3:09 am)