Fargo

Does Nex finally have a challenger? 0.o

Austin, TX

Haha we'll see... But honestly NeX is the man with the plan when it comes to this sort of thing. I found his build blog shortly after a friend introduced me to chiptunes and I was blown away. Ever since then I've been modding almost every day of the week, and I'm always inspired to try new things and push the limit.

Hiya.
I'm the fellow good Boddah here is modding this DMG for. I'm incredibly stoked and can't wait to get my hands on it, to say the least.

Symezy

Been following progress on this via instagram. It's incredible!

Austria

nice project, keep it going.. big_smile

Austin, TX

Had to take a break from this project for a while to make some quick money and take care of some things. I need to get some little things like a battery for my multimeter and some new soldering iron and dremel tips, but shouldn't be much longer until I can start working on it again and finish it up!

Btw, It's nice to see you joined cm.o, @DotAndDash and @joeteach

Last edited by Boddah (Sep 14, 2012 8:35 pm)

Austin, TX

Well after taking a refreshing break from this project, I'm ready to start working again. I'm going to upload some pics later. Is there anyone that could give me some suggestions for preventing the DMG from crashing? I also need suggestions for attaching N64 Transfer Pak case extension, I used some 2 part hobbyist epoxy on the first try, and it held pretty well for a while but eventually it gave out.

washington

Have you tried rubber cement or gorilla glue?

Austin, Texas

Gorilla glue might work, but I think it might be hard to get looking clean.

My only idea so far is PVC glue, like for PVC plumbing; I don't know how well both kinds of acrylic would react to that, though.

Puerto Rico

I've seen bondo get mentioned in a lot of console modding projects, don't know if it comes in clear...

Chicago

Mighty putty would work, I doubt its avalible in clear though. Its probably not the most attractive solution so it might be worth looking into alternative epoxy solutions. Perhaps even using a drill to insert a few small screws threw the back of the dmg case into the n64 pack.

As for the dmg crashing could you please go into a bit more detail? What is currently wired up to the system? When did it start acting up? How far/ how long from powering on does it crash? Is it just freezing or does it freak out then power off or does it just reboot? Is the crash triggered by some operation? Also is the crash unavoidable, as in is it occurring 100% of the time or just rather frequently?

I'm really anticipating the next update on this build. Of course photos would significantly give insight on the crashing situation, a video of the unit crashing would help the troubleshooting exponentially.
I gotta give you mad props for taking on this challenge of a build! I wish you God speed Boddah... God speed...

Xuriik wrote:

I've seen bondo get mentioned in a lot of console modding projects, don't know if it comes in clear...

Don't let "bond" in "bondo" mislead you. Bondo is a filler, not a glue. It's also for metal, and will turn into a cracked mess on plastic after a while both because it doesn't bond well and because plastic is generally too flexible.

Just use screws or nuts and bolts. Glue should be used as a last resort, especially since I guarantee you're going to be opening this up at least a couple times to fix things. The wiring on the cart slot is questionable for instance. I'd focus more so on securely mounting the cartridge slot. Use brackets if you need to. The plastic seems to be more or less just an aesthetic thing.

Austin, TX

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think I will just mount the case extension with screws. I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow and explore my options. As for the crashing, I'm not really sure what the problem is. I'm waiting for a package to arrive tomorrow and it has a battery for my multimeter, I've been waiting to thoroughly test the back pcb until I had my multimeter working properly. The pcb only has the cart connector, power board, a power toggle switch, and a capacitor that I had to move attached to it at the moment, but I do have lengthy wires already attached to the points on the pcb where the mods will be connected. I've only powered the back pcb on once, and the backlight lit up, but no display and no sound from the speaker. I've run into this problem before, and always somehow managed to fix it, but once I get the multimeter working I'll be able to give a better description of the problem if I can't locate it myself. I have a question about capacitors, how long do they normally last? Should I just go ahead and replace all of the old ones?

matt's mind

replace all the aluminum electrolytic type capacitors, they're past their prime even if its a play it loud

this type typically lasts ~15 years

changing out the caps does a world of wonder sometimes.

Austin, TX

Ah, that's good to know, thanks! Are you going to restock the cap kits in your store soon?

matt's mind

yep!  trying to catch up on some out of stock stuff this week