Hey everyone I was wondering if you had any tips on how o make melodic songs to chill out too? Also if you know of any of these types of songs I would really like to know tongue

NSW, Australia
Nesiss wrote:

Hey everyone I was wondering if you had any tips on how o make melodic songs to chill out too? Also if you know of any of these types of songs I would really like to know tongue

Do you have an example of the sound your aiming for?

Just slow down with the fcking Tempo!
But yeah, i guess that's the key. Use dreamy bleep & bloop sounds and make it flow.
Even if it sucks, i kinda did this ones. Sweet Dreams and so.

Gosford, Australia

a bit of delay + reverb is always nice (not too much though).

two or more squarewaves in unison with a touch of detuning are a nice, soft sound as well. you'll need a knack for channel juggling or maaaaaybe another gameboy for that.

dunno what else to say other than sound-design stuff - the writing aspect depends on so many things and is totally up to you in the end!

Listen to soft melodic music! That being said, a simple sine wave and some reverb can go a long way.

Last edited by an0va (Jul 8, 2012 9:25 am)

United Kingdom

Arps with nice long envelopes.

Listen to some ambient music.

AANABAY01

notes which slide in instead of starting at full volume

Gosford, Australia

also i like add9, sus2 & M7 chords in softer tracks cause i'm a little bit generic

but they're nice chords!

also m6 & m7 and iv chords at the end of sections in lieu of IV. i could go oooooon

A bit of music theory wouldn't go amiss (don't bother buying a book just look up the relations between notes in a scale to each other), but really the only way to really understand it is practice.

E commands, fade things in and out.