(219) Indiana, USA

My gameboy has been recently having contrast problems and i was wondering what I could do to fix this.

PICTURES

Pitch mod off with contrast all the way down

Pitch mod on the fastest setting with contrast all the way down

Close up picture of screen with contrast all the way down (and pitch mod off)

insides of back board

insides of front board

Last edited by zaxxon (Nov 8, 2013 11:36 pm)

Russian Fedration. Moscow City

loosk very funny) do u try to take of the backlight and see how it work without it?

(219) Indiana, USA

but i want the backlight in there tho. Is there any other thing I could do about this?

Last edited by zaxxon (Jul 12, 2012 1:51 am)

Sweeeeeeden

Are the batteries fresh? Are all the battery contacts clean? Where are you tapping the power for the backlight?

Same question as nitro2k01,  it is strange that you battery led seems to be off,  may battery too low (and backlight taking too much current )
you backlight connection seems to be unusual too, (gnd to the batt led) and VCC to an unknow location (near your green sticker).
Maybe during soldering the backlight GND you short the batt led pins ?

Another question, did you change something before you got this prob ?  or it suddenly happens ?

Last edited by xray303 (Jul 12, 2012 8:26 am)

(219) Indiana, USA

I used this guide for the backlight:
http://images.kitsch-bent.com/documenta … 3_ver1.pdf

Haha I feel stupid, it was just the batteries being too old i just needed to put in new ones big_smile

thanks

Sweeeeeeden

This raises the question if it's a good idea to connect the backlight to the regulated power output rather than directly to the batteries (after the power switch). Yes, you get a more even power level, but the screen goes dim more quickly and you might throw away perfectly good batteries. On the other hand, the screen also goes dimmer as the batteries run dry. So it may be all the same in the end.

nitro (or anybody), has anybody created a reference image or anything that identifies which points are regulated power sources and which are unregulated? any schematic diagrams at all would be great!

i wired my nonfinite backlight to the points on step 8 of this guide for kitsch's: http://images.kitsch-bent.com/documenta … B_ver1.pdf
(i did wire in the separate resistor that comes with the nonfinite light)

are those points regulated? i assume so because of where they are...

Sweeeeeeden

Yeah, they are. The typical way of connecting a backlight to the unregulated power supply is to connect the positive side lead to the 1k resistor near the top, on the side closest to the ribbon cable. If you don't care about the backlight, you can remove the resistor and solder the wire through the hole. Negative still goes to ground.

Of course, with this method, the backlight intensity varies with the battery voltage, and maybe the 6V from four fresh batteries may be slightly higher than what is healthy for the panel.

sweet. I really like them there, take up almost no space at all big_smile

(219) Indiana, USA

haha yah its alot easier to work with with them there big_smile