Medina, Ohio
balloonbear wrote:
TSC wrote:

Also, if you are having trouble with PC noise it may help to invest in one of these:

I purchased mine for less than $.40 and my noise issues were fixed.

what is this?

Its a grounding (cheater) plug: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

EDIT: "Cheater plugs are also used to break ground loops in audio systems.[4] This practice has been condemned as disregarding electrical safety.[4][5] An alternative is to use an isolation transformer made specifically for this purpose."

Last edited by dsv101 (Jul 13, 2012 7:23 pm)

NC in the US of America
dsv101 wrote:
balloonbear wrote:

what is this?

EDIT: "Cheater plugs are also used to break ground loops in audio systems.[4] This practice has been condemned as disregarding electrical safety.[4][5] An alternative is to use an isolation transformer made specifically for this purpose."

It beats breaking off the ground-pin, at least. =\ (can't stand when people do that)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Whoa yeah. Don't do that.

Russian Fedration. Moscow City
dsv101 wrote:
balloonbear wrote:

what is this?

I dont even kniw how to use it wit y laptop

4mat wrote:

if you're just using it for chip/tracker music (and maybe an input from a mixer) something like the Behringer U-Control series would probably do. (I got a UCA202 to use with the netbook at Blip2011, thanks Akira for the recommendation)  USB, RCA jacks in/out, headphone socket, works fine with ASIO4ALL too if you need small latency in a DAW.

But what the pirce?

NC in the US of America
balloonbear wrote:
dsv101 wrote:

This thing allows you to plug a three-prong plug into a two-prong outlet. I don't see how that would help, though...

I have mini TRS on my GB

SketchMan3 wrote:
balloonbear wrote:

This thing allows you to plug a three-prong plug into a two-prong outlet. I don't see how that would help, though...

I think i don't have ane outlet here

NC in the US of America
balloonbear wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

I mean a power outlet. Thing you plug your a power cord into to get power to the device.

So, like I said, I don't see how that would help. How does removing the ground help with grounding? And is it possible to ground a device with only a two prong power cord?

SketchMan3 wrote:
balloonbear wrote:

I mean a power outlet. Thing you plug your a power cord into to get power to the device.

So, like I said, I don't see how that would help. How does removing the ground help with grounding? And is it possible to ground a device with only a two prong power cord?

Card inside, and i really don't want to disassemble my laptop like a lego constructor. But i thoughtn that external audio card would help

Medina, Ohio
SketchMan3 wrote:
balloonbear wrote:

Well..."The ground slot and the neutral slot of an outlet are identical. That is, if you go back to the fuse box, you will find that the neutral and ground wires from all of the outlets go to the same place. They all connect to ground (see How Power Distribution Grids Work for details on grounding). Since they both go to the same place, why do you need both?..."

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ev … ion110.htm

Edit, read more, because my quote sounds like you dont need ground big_smile You do to prevent shock on devices where the enclousre is metal/connected to ground.

Last edited by dsv101 (Jul 13, 2012 7:59 pm)

balloonbear wrote:
4mat wrote:

if you're just using it for chip/tracker music (and maybe an input from a mixer) something like the Behringer U-Control series would probably do. (I got a UCA202 to use with the netbook at Blip2011, thanks Akira for the recommendation)  USB, RCA jacks in/out, headphone socket, works fine with ASIO4ALL too if you need small latency in a DAW.

But what the pirce?

varies between models, about 30 uk pounds.

Just type in "electrical ground and audio devices" into Google.
Not trying to pass the buck, just that I can't think of the right way to describe the ground's influence on audio.

4mat wrote:
balloonbear wrote:

But what the pirce?

varies between models, about 30 uk pounds.

thanks a lot Mr.4mat smile

Articles like this:
www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99634.htm

dsv101 wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Well..."The ground slot and the neutral slot of an outlet are identical. That is, if you go back to the fuse box, you will find that the neutral and ground wires from all of the outlets go to the same place. They all connect to ground (see How Power Distribution Grids Work for details on grounding). Since they both go to the same place, why do you need both?..."

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ev … ion110.htm

Edit, read more, because my quote sounds like you dont need ground big_smile You do to prevent shock on devices where the enclousre is metal/connected to ground.

Mabye my english very bad, but I still can't understand how to use this thing